German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, my dear friend has a 7 year old male German Shepherd that they've owned since it was born it gets plenty of attention and lots of love. it lives with a family of four.
this dog has never had any aggressive issues. a couple of days ago the owner was playing fetch with a water bottle in her backyard when she reached down to pick up the water bottle the dog lunched on her and bit her up pretty good she ended up getting stitches in her knee and both hands. animal control was called immediately and the dog is going to be put down. it's really a sad story but I thought I would reach out to German Shepherd owners to see what could cause this. I also own a German Shepherd I could not imagine my dog doing something like this they're so loving and dedicated. thanks for all your comments and help

·
Super Moderator
5,256 Posts
Usually a drastic change like this has a medical component. Pain, tumor, thyroid...

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what has been described, it does not sound like medical issue.

I would think that something has recently changed in the home or the dogs normal routine. Just 2 of several situations I am aware of is; 1 - A couple had a dog for several years with no problems, until they had a baby. Now they had no time for the dog whos was used to their devoted time, frustrated the dog struck out.

2- The dogs owner, a young man died and the family was in grief, people forget that dogs grieve as well. The dog struck out.

I would ask your friend if anything has recently changed in the home or the dogs routine, examples would be a divorce, new child, death in the family etc.
Just my thoughts on my experiences.

Kim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to all for your comments, no new changes in the household. the two children that live in the household are teenagers and they play with the dog everyday. I have a little more information on the history of the dog. it has never been fixed, and it is purebred I believe it's registered. I'll try to post some pictures of the dog. it's a beautiful animal.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Hate to hear this. I wonder if the dog has ever exhibited any resource guarding or any that went unnoticed.

And not that's it's an excuse and for all I know, they do a lot more but "plenty of attention and love" and "playing with the dog everyday" is not sufficient exercise.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If there is no medical reason for the dog's behavior, then I am 100% certain that there was plenty of aggressive behavior before this incident that was not recognized and handled by the owners. Growing up in Germany, surrounded by GSD and owners, I heard many stories about GSD that just turned vicious and attacked their owners one day out of nowhere, it's like an old wives' tale that gets told over and over again. There were 2 people who were attacked by their GSD whom I knew personally, and I did not care for their dogs or their training methods prior to the incidents.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Sitz&Platz, this would be my guess, too. I am frequently amazed how clueless dog owners are when reading a dog's body language!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts