German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is OK for may German shepherd puppy (3 month) to stay outside at low mornings temperatures (~ 41 to 32 degrees)

Thenk you for answers :)

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Short answer NO!

First of all a 3 month old puppy should not be outside unattended, and a pup that young should not be subjected to harsh weather without supervision. I live in Canada and while my pups are routinely outdoors in sub zero temperatures, they are under constant supervision. I suppose with multiple dogs it may be ok, but I wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I don't understand what you're asking.

Are you asking can he be left out for hours? overnight? minutes? What?

Does he have shelter like a dog house/kennel or is he just stuck in the yard?

Explaining a bit more, would help people provide you better answers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for lack of info...

My dog are outside on backyard over day and night. He have house on one side with "double room" he can hide inside and lay in comfy blankets...

I know for adult german shepherds this is not problem. Lowest temperatures over night and mornings are (~ 41 to 32 degrees).

But my point of this topic was ask for 3 months old puppy if he can stand this lowest temperatutes over nights.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
No. A young puppy needs to be protected from everything outside. And he needs that time with you to bond as well. Just don't do that to him. He will learn all kinds of problem behavior and you'l be back asking for advice on how to cure it. Why don't you want the pup inside or do you live outside as well?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Jesus, I have read through the various responses you've gotten, and IMO, they are ALL, without exception wrong! I bought my current puppy in March of 2017, which by the way, is one of the two snowyest months of the year in Colorado. My puppy had NEVER been inside a house until I brought her home. So 40s or even 30s mean absolutely nothing to a GSD puppy - unless they've always been inside and haven't been acclimated to the cold. And even then, if they have a house or kennel to snuggle up in, they're fine!

My own puppy almost couldn't be called in when temps went below zero F here, she seemed to just love it!

But keep it in mind, it's more about "drastic change in temps" than it is about current temps! If in doubt, watch or check on them frequently. I think you'll see that it takes temps much below 32 to make even a small puppy cold!

·
Super Moderator
4,684 Posts
I wouldn't leave a pup that young out even in perfect weather. There is so much they need to learn about living in a human world, and they do that best by being with people.
As far as temps go, I find my dogs have a harder time with humidity than temperatures. It can be 69 F and have a dew point of 90%. A few miles walking in that and my dogs start to slow way down.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Why even have a dog if you just leave them outside. I understand some are used for various reasons, guarding sheep, goats, sled dogs even sport dogs but if your just getting one to just leave it outside no reason to have one.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Though I tend to agree with, if your dog staying outside why have one.... Different cultures view this differently. I suspect this is the basis for this question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts