German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My new pup is WONDERFUL and we couldn't be happier! 9 weeks old yesterday and smart as a whip. We're teaching commands in german and I've been able to find all the "basics" online, however, I can't seem to find what the term is for "leave it". Can anyone help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Sorry, Madonna - we posted at the same time!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
No apologies necessary, Jan--you know what they say: "Great minds work alike!"

(IMO, the link that you gave is more concise and easier to follow!)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
leave it:

zeave zit
zeave zit zere
zeave zat zah zone
use a German accent when pronouncing these words. it's easier for the dog to understand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can use an online translator like babelfish. But the problem is they translate literally and dont take in German speaking or writing rules. Gehen is the verb to leave, but it is an irregular verb.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Grimm learned "Lass es!" as a teeny puppy the size of a loaf o' bread with legs. From the start, there was always stuff I didn't want him to nosh or tussle with. "Aus!" sure came in handy when he had (twice!!) picked up a decomposing body of a mouse
outside on walks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi,

The German term for "Leave it" is "Aus!!"

Please believe me. I'm a German national.

Take care!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Mary,

You're certainly NOT wrong if you translate the English term "Leave it!!" into the German term "Lass' es!!" but IMO the term "Aus" is more common.

It might indeed be an area thing as you call it.

Take care and be good to your dogs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I gotta say, this is a really cool way to train your puppy. Im not German, nor do i speak much of it... but it would just be so cool to give our dog commands in german...

Is it common for English speakers to use German commands? Our trainer was telling us to come up with a "release word" for our puppy.. (such as OK)... and she said its best to use a word we dont say as frequently in conversation as "OK"...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, everyone!

For whatever reason, my computer will not load the verbal translation when I click on "Lass es" on the Dr. P's site. Most of the others I can click on and hear, but this one I can't. Can someone help me understand how to pronounce it? Is it "lass" as in "lassie" and "es" as in "s" or "iz"? Hope that makes sense!

Also, we'll be using "aus" for "drop it/out". He's already got that one down!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We use the Aus around here too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts