German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zee (officially) begins her obedience class next Thursday.
I know most GSD's are trained in German, and her breeder gave us a couple German commands she'd been using with her.

Can you guys share with me the general command you use and the correct way to pronounce them? I'd like to practice and get ready for class!:D

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
platz (plots) - down
sitz - sit
bleib (blibe) - stay
fuss (foos) - heel
nein (nine) - no
achtung - watch/attention (idk how to spell out how i pronounce it...it has an accent to it though lol *Aktoong? Thats the best I can do LOL sorry)
Aus (ows) - let go
Hier (here) - come (come and sit directly in front of me)
Braver Hund (brahfer Hund) - good dog :p If you wanna praise in German too.
pfui (fooey) - stop
giblaut (geblowt) - speak
lass es - leave it
in Ordnung - ok

Theres some German commands I use, well atleast the most common ones.:)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Rofl the phonetic spelling is awesome to someone that actually speaks German :)
Some of this words are really hard for English speakers to pronounce - like Pfui :)
It doesn't really matter if you don't pronounce them exactly right, as long as you're consistent with it the dog will learn the sound :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Lol Mooch, Im German as well, just not fluent in German. It is funny though :D Imagine if the words were actually spelled that way LOL NINE FOOEY NINE! PLOTS PLOTS! BLIBE!!! :rofl:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I've heard that phonics are no longer taught in public schools.

I attended school in Germany through the second grade and we were taught phonics.

pfui (fooey) - stop

The 'p' is pronounced in this word as it is in all German words using a 'pf'. It's a very short plosive immediately followed by the f.

The ch sound is formed with the back of the tongue against the soft plate of the mouth.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL. I've been practicing... and let me just say, I hope no actual German person is in class because I'm afraid with my southern girl accent, I'm butchering the commands.

"Siiiiitz"
"Bl-eye-b"
"Heeeer"

LOL.... Wow.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
platz (plots) - down
sitz - sit
bleib (blibe) - stay
fuss (foos) - heel
nein (nine) - no
achtung - watch/attention (idk how to spell out how i pronounce it...it has an accent to it though lol *Aktoong? Thats the best I can do LOL sorry)
Aus (ows) - let go
Hier (here) - come (come and sit directly in front of me)
Braver Hund (brahfer Hund) - good dog :p If you wanna praise in German too.
pfui (fooey) - stop
giblaut (geblowt) - speak
lass es - leave it
in Ordnung - ok

Theres some German commands I use, well atleast the most common ones.:)

I have used this list for the pronunciation :)
The only thing it didn't have in it is "Steh" which is for the stand stay.

German Commands - YouTube

·
Registered
990 Posts
You did a fantastic job on that Video! Well done, I couldn't do that :D
It's easier for me to get my other half to learn the german commands when I'm not busy laughing my butt off at his pronunciation :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been looking into switching my dogs over to Japanese commands. I've already removed the come command from our training. It was way too common and I wanted something that would get my dogs attention when she wasn't paying attention to me.

I looked at German and at least in my area a few people are already using it. Plus some words sound so similar to English. I have some experience with Japanese so I figured, why not use that instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts