German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Any tool you choose can be great in the right hands or disastrous in the wrong hands.

Try one and see how it goes, if it works great! If not try another until you find one that suits.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My dog didn't care for the Gentle Leader, she kept trying to pull it off. But she's been in an Easy Walk for years. It's so much easier to walk her in a harness. Our only problem is that I find with her shape, the Easy Walk doesn't stay put in the chest area the way that I want it to - it sags and changes the way she walks. I just ordered a new harness on Etsy from a dog walker who designed her own front-latched harness. We'll see how that goes.

Despite the issue with her stride, the front-latching harnesses, like the Easy Walk were our magic bullet for helping with pulling on walks (unless, ya know, a squirrel crosses our path, then all bets are off!).

·
Registered
290 Posts
We use an easy walk harness. We still try and practice loose leash walking seperately and treat/praise when he is in the right spot in the harness, so I wouldn't expect it to train your dog into walking nicely, but its a nice tool while you're training so you don't wreck your arms with a pulling pup.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
How "strong" are these front walk harnesses?

I ask because I recently worked with a ridiculously strong dog who also has a neck/spine issue so cannot wear a collar. The owner does not have a fenced yard, so even potty breaks are an issue.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
For puppies I use the Easy Walk harness.

Mary, I have an older Ruffwear harness that can be fitted very snug (not as in too tight, but you can customize it to the individual dog really well) and since it has two straps around the dog's abdomen I don't see how a dog could get out of it. Also it's advertized as being a lifting harness, so it must be strong enough to withstand a pulling dog. It's not really a training harness like an Easy Walk, but for a dog that can't wear a collar, I don't see how one could get out of this harness. I personally do not trust the Easy Walk as fool proof, so when my escape artist dog wears one I have a loop tab that connects the D-ring on the harness to his collar.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Does the Ruffwear help to limit pulling? This dog is MEGA strong. Short little muscle bound dude:).

My thought is to get some type of no-pull harness with a backup collar like you indicated above. If this dog were to get loose the owner would have major problems as he is quite dog aggressive. At that point I think the neck/spine issue would take a back burner.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Gentle leader or harness? Try on both and see which one she seems like best. If you go to a pet supply store they should allow you to try both on.

·
5,627 Posts
Mary,

The freedom harness might be a better fit for the owner you mentioned. It isn't easy to back out of like the easy walk and has both front and back hooks. The back hook is between the shoulder blades and is martingale and not in the mid back like pulling harnesses.

I like the fit better for larger dogs but it doesn't have the same no pull effect as the easy walk bc the martingale isnt on the chest.

They sell leashes to go with it to hook to both rings for extra control.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Oh, he sounds lovely. :rofl:

There was a WDJ article/review about front hook harnesses. There was one that looked like a "Hannibal the Cannibal" version. The EZ Walk by Premier didn't rate as well as some others. It's what I have used and thought it was good and I will probably try something else next time to see. Not sure if some of those other choices would be worth a shot with her or not. Pat Miller uses the Freedom no pull, for strong dogs there was the Dean and Tyler no pull. The Sensation and Halti harness also did well. In fact, the Halti one rated as best value and it's one I would consider. The Dean and Tyler I think is that beastly one.

No-Pull Dog Harness Product Review - Whole Dog Journal Article

Oh - Jamie made me think - I always use a backup collar and coupler type thing to hold the dog in place. Interesting on the New Freedom with the pulling - I thought it was supposed to be more no pull -- thanks for that info!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
OP, sorry to kind of hijack your thread but hoping some of these responses help you too:). Wondering if there is a particular reason you are looking into these products?

Jean and Jamie, thanks! I will look into the suggestions. Jean, doggy boy is a challenge. I actually found him on the road as a puppy several years ago and placed him with this person. She loves him... but WOW is he outta control!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Does the Ruffwear help to limit pulling? This dog is MEGA strong. Short little muscle bound dude:).

My thought is to get some type of no-pull harness with a backup collar like you indicated above. If this dog were to get loose the owner would have major problems as he is quite dog aggressive. At that point I think the neck/spine issue would take a back burner.
No, it's just a harness. I was thinking what you said but wasn't sure if that would be OK due to the back/neck problem, but if not then I agree that a no-pull harness that is clipped to a loose slip collar would be the best option.

This is my Ruffwear. As you can see, there's no way the dog can wriggle out of it, and if it broke the company would probably want to know since it's a lifting harness. But it's not going to help with pulling, probably promotes it actually.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts