German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On canadavet.com I noticed they sell Generic Hartgard called Valuegard. Anyone try this? I know generics are suppose to be the same as the original - heck I use LOTS of generics to save $$. Just wanted to see if anyone has used this and had any opinions.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: Branca's MomI think it is actually called valueheart?
Tammy - you are correct - its Valueheart! I'm going to give it a shot - its definitely a nice savings!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I recommend it actually. I don't like using hartguard plus or interceptor etc without a reason for giving my dogs added chemicals on a monthly basis. Valueheart, iverheart, nuheart, there are a bunch of generic plain ivermectin heartguard preventatives

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: Linthere are a bunch of generic plain ivermectin heartguard preventatives
Yep, I just use an ivermectin paste. Tube cost $8 and it expires after a year. I won't use 1/4 of it before that. Tricky to dose, but not impossible. I have to talk to my vet about my other dog b/c he is part Collie and I don't know if he has a mutant MDR1 gene (causes problems with ivermectin?).

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
with the ivermectin paste, do you empty the tube into a bowl and mix it? Ivermectin paste that is sold in tubes for horses and cows is not uniform throughout. When you're dosing a large animal its not a big deal, but can be dangerous when dosing smaller animals. You may end up with a dose that is 4x the strength of ivermectin you wanted, and the next dose with 1/2 the strength you had wanted. I know of smaller animals that have died because of this, and I'm sure it could hurt a dog as well.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Nope but I will now!! I use a tiny little drop, and also do yearly heartworm tests to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts