German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...thank God they are not staying with us! So they come over the house last night, Dwayne was nervous about Lulu being around and I was like "why, she's the sweetest dog in the world" and he said "you'll see". Well, his dad walks in the door and Lulu comes up to greet him, he immediately pushes her face away from him with his hand (any harder and I would have gone off on him!)
Keep in mind I am trying really hard to be good for my husbands sake, he did not grow up with the extremely close relationship with his parents that I had so I don't want to cause any rifts. His dad is one of those people who had a dog for 16 years that lived solely in the backyard and the only reason they kept that dog was because it belonged to his daughter (my husband's sister) who passed away.

So they sit on the couch, my husband's mom is blind so I can understand how she maybe doesn't want dogs around but Lulu again goes to say hi to him and he smacks her face away again and says "get out of here!". I am boiling at the seams now but keeping my cool. He does this several more times until Lulu gets the hint that he is not a dog person, his mom got upset when she got near as well. So I'm okay with this, it's only a few hour visit and then he goes into this story about how he knew a guy who had a dog that broke into the chicken pen and killed a chicken and how the guy tied the chicken to the dogs neck until it rotted and "that dog never got another chicken, yeah, that's how you teach them!" he chuckled. I lost it and said "that is abusive and cruel and that man should be put in jail, poor dog" and stormed outside. So I come back in and about 5 minutes later my husband's mom mentiones Lulu's name to her husband and he says "don't say her name, she might come over here" and I say "Yeah, I know, she sure is terrifying!" and his mom laughed and his dad just shot me a look.

At one point I said "boy, you guys sure aren't dog people, are you?" and they ignored me. Okay, maybe I just should have kept quiet OR put her in her crate but I felt like that would be giving in to him and it is Lulu's house after all! I have never in my life seen people act this way around a dog. I guess you had to be there, but I now sort of get why it took awhile for my husband to even come around to where he is now. At first, when I first met him, he said if we got a dog it would have to stay outside, which we argued about and then just didn't get one. He is totally different now and loves Lulu, but it took 5 years of me telling my dog stories and arguing for him to "get it". After they left my hubby said "see what I mean?" and I said "um YEAH! I have never seen anything like it!"

Anyway, they are coming over tonight again in a few hours, wish me luck, I may just put her in her crate since she was at doggy day care all day today anyway. I should just be able to let it go easier but it really irritated me the way he kept smacking her away (not hitting, just pushing her head away firmly with his hand quickly) am I being too sensitive? I know there is a difference between your dogs and your kids but Lulu is part of my pack and in a way feels like a child to me and I feel very protective of her!

I guess I am ranting also because I lost both my parents (my mom very recently) who I was VERY close to and I really want to be close to his parents but WOW they are like a world away from how my family is...

Okay, done
I feel better now

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I totally understand what your saying.If it's only once a year put the dog in her kennel and play nice.Then hope that next year they decide not to visit you...OR say screw it and get her all worked up while there there and visit with the dog not them......I prefer my dogs over any of my family most days...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya Allie! I really should have just put her in her crate and almost did but once he told the chicken story I didn't want to give in to him. I have a stubborn streak I guess but it just irritated me that much! :p It is more than once a year we have to see them, in fact next week they are having a family reunion thing and I opted to board Lulu instead of take her with us since it will be on their turf :p

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I don't think you are being too sensitive! Your FIL is just being plain rude. If they can't treat you, and Your dogs in YOUR house with respect, then I would insist that you meet in a nuetral place, like a resturaunt or their motel. My sister tried to pull something like that on me. My brother travels with me in the Southwind on occasion. So, sis says, I am going to ask Dan to take the boys with you when you go on your trips. But(this is the good part!!)they don't want to be around your dogs, so you can leave them here, and I will tie them out in the yard, and feed them until you get back. WTH!! Nephews will NOT be going with us in the Southwind. So, again, you are NOT being too sensitive.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I understand, one, it's inlaws which in general is stressfull!

When I had the whole and I mean WHOLE 10 member inlaw family come down here for Easter. I know Anna was stressed because I was stressed, but they all just walked in the house LOUD and EVERYWHERE...it was an inlaw INFESTATION! Bless her heart!

Then they kept doing the "whistle whistle here girl!!" thing which she HATES. She just stood away from them. They couldn't understand why and I'm like "cause you're soooo freakin loud and keep chasing after her after I've told you repetedly to just leave her be and she'll come up to you!"

They called her snobby...I'm like no, she's just sitting and staring at you people wanting you to get out of her house and her mommy agrees! It's the first time I contemplated giving her part of my ice cold beer when they left!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL Aubie, that is so funny! At least they TRIED to be friendly with her! I think I would sit in the corner in that situation as well LOL. Since I don't have any family besides my sister who lives far away anymore I tend to be overly protective and close to my daughter and my animals! Lulu is asleep on my feet right now and I hate the thought of putting her in her crate with people around, she loves people and they have two of their other grandkids with them who are nice to Lou. She only goes in her crate at bedtime now so she may not like it but she's so good she'll probably just go to sleep

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I should add that I wouldn't be so "chip on the shoulder" with his dad about it if not for a few of the stories my husband has told me about growing up, not pretty at all

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Oh, and not that drinking fixes everything, but slipping some vodka in your koolaid an hour or so before they arrive helped calm me down...and it leaves no smell!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thus the filled to the brim glass of Chardonay I am enjoying at the moment

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: flyinghayden I don't think you are being too sensitive! Your FIL is just being plain rude. If they can't treat you, and Your dogs in YOUR house with respect, then I would insist that you meet in a nuetral place, like a resturaunt or their motel. My sister tried to pull something like that on me. My brother travels with me in the Southwind on occasion. So, sis says, I am going to ask Dan to take the boys with you when you go on your trips. But(this is the good part!!)they don't want to be around your dogs, so you can leave them here, and I will tie them out in the yard, and feed them until you get back. WTH!! Nephews will NOT be going with us in the Southwind. So, again, you are NOT being too sensitive.
WOW! I can't believe they said that! I know there are some people that are just not dog people, and that's okay, just don't get them around my dog or let them take care of her/him! And you are right, he was VERY rude! They are coming up tonight because we can't afford to take them out to dinner and they want to see my daughter and hubby again so I will just have to survive the evening.

I did have a border collie for 14 years who I had to have a friend take care of when my nephew stayed with us but that was because she didn't like kids and I knew she didn't like kids and nipped and bit at them (not play nip and bite) and being that I knew this I wouldn't put her near my young (at the time) nephew. That was totally different, I tried to train her all her life to no avail, she just didn't like kids and I wanted to spend time with my Nephew

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they're here, I'm going in... wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Oh gosh! I get very defensive of my dogs. If they are not dog people they need not bother coming to my house!! Anyone who touches my dog in a negative way at all, is no longer much welcome to come here. They are here for my comfort and happiness and the people must accept that and be kind or stay away!

Good Luck with your in laws this evening!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well try having your cat branded as "vicious" and "guaranteed to bite". One of my fiancees friends came over with her niece and nephew. They want to pet the cat. Her friend tells them to not pet the cat or they will be bitten - no doubts about it.

I told the kids to go ahead and pet McLovin all they want but to pay attention to her reaction because she is not a lab or golden. She is a cat and when she's had enough she'll leave and you won't see her for a while.

Lo and behold the cat didn't bite the kids. Nonetheless, since the cat has nipped at people in the family who do not understand that petting a cat is different than a dog she is now mean and vicious.

I can already see how it's going to go once I bring Zeus home on Tuesday. Being the big bad GS that he is...

And your in-laws suck. Plain and simple. My condolences.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Holy heck. Non-dog people never stop amazing me. I had to put up with a few of them myself not too long ago, so I completely feel your pain.

Good luck with them tonight!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Luckily my family, for the most part, are animal people and are used to my dogs. I do have a little problem with my brother who gets upset and bops my dogs if they jump on him (which the two youngest tend to do as they really LOVE their "uncle"). If he'd even try to deal with them logically he'd have more success, but instead he gets mad and yells at them and bops them (not hard, not a bad thing necessarily, but it's like he doesn't understand any other way). I'm sure he wouldn't like it if I bopped his cats for jumping on my lap when he comes to my house. And, of course, I can't tell him how to act because he already thinks he knows how to act.

I have had a couple of people around who have just been completely unreasonable about the dogs. And if I end up having to put my dogs in another room or in a kennel, I tell the people "since you're incapable of understanding simple dog behavior, I'll put my dogs away so they don't have to deal with you". Yep, it sounds rude, but I consider it really rude for someone to come into my home and then ignore my suggestions on how to deal with the dogs (who live there). I have friendly dogs and I want them to continue to view people as friendly too.

I've also tried telling people "I love this dog very much - she's almost like a child to me and definitely is part of my family". And some will still continue to treat the dog badly! If they can't understand that the dogs are important to ME, and that they should act accordingly (they wouldn't shove away, yell at or smack my HUMAN child if I had one, would they??), then I really don't want them back. And they don't usually come back once I make the comment that the problem was all their fault .. *L*

But overall I'm truly lucky as all of my family have either dogs or cats (or both) and so do my friends. In fact I had the lodge guy stop by the other day to say hello and visit with the dogs (he wanted ALL the dogs out to say hi .. *L*), and then later a lady who adopted a GSD from me about 15 years ago stopped by and is looking for another dog, and even though she was in a skirt and Trick kept sticking her cold nose on her legs, she would reach down and fluff up Trick's ears and tell her how beautiful she is. THOSE are the kind of people I want around!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
664 Posts
Another dog idiot.
I get offended when people visit, my dog(s) approach to greet them, and they pretend the dogs aren't there. I can't imagine someone pushing the dog's face away. Jerk.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Hope it went okay! I think I would be asking them to leave if they hit my dog. If the dog were being obnoxious then I would have to look at my training and put the dog in a crate. But it sounds like Lulu was just being a sweet heart

1 - 20 of 28 Posts