German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey can someone point me to where there is just a summary of what the general temperment and physical appearance of the different lines is. I can't seem to find a single thread where they are all listed. I'm not looking for great detail, just the basic "wikipedia" type description of the different lines. Plus I think this would help a lot of people in the future decide what they are looking for in a dog.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
He asked for a summary only. It's a good start - why don't you post some that give more information?
Because I dont know alot about the different GSD lines, I opened this thread hoping to learn more about them. I dont have any advice to give. :(

Maybe I should make my own thread.

Sorry OP

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
It's hard to find a summary without some bias. Because obviously if I like certain lines, I am going to be more complimentary there, and less so in others. And you can find some summaries with great bias - so you do need to know basics to be able to call BS.

I do believe there are threads on this board with this information, but I don't have the time today to look for them or further information.

There is also another way to ask for it - generalizations about lines, because I am sure there will be someone who will say, well, not all things are true for all dogs, and each individual dog will vary. So that has to be assumed - and accepted - but generalizations do help!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not sure if it is something that can really be summarized well. The link Jean posted is a good jumping off point; anything more than that and you really just need to jump in feet first.

" Plus I think this would help a lot of people in the future decide what they are looking for in a dog."

-- I know you didn't mean it that way, but anybody who decides what they're looking for in a dog based on a wikipedia-type summary really deserves what they get. Unfortunately there are far FAR FAR too many people who make decisions based on what type of dog they want based on websites. When making a decision you have got to get out there and meet dogs. I know you wouldn't suggest people doing that, Martemchick, but they do.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
-- I know you didn't mean it that way, but anybody who decides what they're looking for in a dog based on a wikipedia-type summary really deserves what they get. Unfortunately there are far FAR FAR too many people who make decisions based on what type of dog they want based on websites. When making a decision you have got to get out there and meet dogs. I know you wouldn't suggest people doing that, Martemchick, but they do.
That's tough to do in some cases, and even if you can do it, you may just be getting a small sampling of what the lines actually are, and even those examples might not be a true representation of how they are at home with their family.
I tried to go about finding a dog the way you're suggesting and after doing some research on the web, it turns out the dog I got wasn't actually what I was looking for (I hope he never learns to read :wub:) but had I spent less time talking with breeders and more time reading and deciding for myself, I would have probably chosen a different line and breeder. I was originally looking for a working line dog but breeders insisted I was more suited to a showline dog because I'm smaller and apparently not aggressive enough for a working line dog. :confused:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I agree about needing more info! I started a thread asking what line would be suitable for me and got few responses. I got more info using the search function but still have unanswered questions. For example, I know I would want working line, not show line. I found a TON of info on the Czech/DDR lines both separately and when bred together. However, I am interested to know about the WG lines and what they bring to the table when mixed with the other two and have had a horrible time. I think there should be a sticky - with the disclaimer that everyone is posting "opinions" of course...

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I think breeding is much more than putting "lines" together or not. When done well, combinations can bring balance. When done not so well... imbalance.
Who is doing the breeding as important to me as what is being bred.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Who is doing the breeding as important to me as what is being bred.
Best quote I have seen all week!

Example, many DDR lines are bred to be low drive, dark sable hunks. My (mostly) DDR/Czech dogs are moderate to high drive with plenty of aggression.
So if someone bought a DDR dog on the basis of one or the other description, they could really get in trouble.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I completely understand that people shouldn't choose based on what websites say or what someone generalizes a line as, but its just a stereotype and most times its true. I just want a starting point for people. Like you said no one should pick a dog based on that but a lot of people pick a dog based on looks, such as saddleback or a very sloped back, so I'd rather have them get some information on the temperment that they should expect too. I know that you should meet the parents of the pups and figure out what you like that way. But think about how much you can narrow down your search of breeders if you come to the realization that you want a certain line or temperment.

I'm interested in this mainly because my pup is a DDR/WG mix. Sire was WG, dam was DDR. He looks DDR but I have a feeling that his temperment and drive are very WG, but I would just like to solidify that statement with some fact. I'm not quite sure what all these "strong drive" and "strong temperment" saying mean also. So if someone could clear that up for me as well.

I don't care if you post your own questions about lines here, I'd prefer it under one thread then having to jump around to 100. So if anyone has line questions feel free to post, I'm interested too.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I'm not quite sure what all these "strong drive" and "strong temperment" saying mean also. So if someone could clear that up for me as well.
I know this isn't helpful, but often the only way for this to become clear is through experience. You have to see a lot of dogs to really understand what many of these terms mean.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I know this isn't helpful, but often the only way for this to become clear is through experience. You have to see a lot of dogs to really understand what many of these terms mean.
My first GSD I called "high drive" because he really liked to play ball. Then I met a REALLY high drive dog and learned the difference.
.......then I met a Malinois:D.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So is a DDR supposed to have strong drive? Or lower drive then a WG? I'd just like to know which side my pup gets his personality traits from. Or at least the most likely place he gets them from.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I don't care if you post your own questions about lines here, I'd prefer it under one thread then having to jump around to 100. So if anyone has line questions feel free to post, I'm interested too.
Since you asked.... :D
I've always wondered which lines are cuddlier/attached to their family?
I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty high maintenance and require a lot of attention from my dog ;)
Intelligence and attention to me are pretty high up there in terms of characteristics I look for in a dog.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts