German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - I'm almost through The Primal Blueprint book and I finally understand why my own weight loss goals don't work, even with good exercise routines. So, I'm going to start this method of eating - animals and plants vs animals, plants and grains.

But now for my dogs and cats - things are starting to click in my head about the whole no grain philosophy. But the only kibble/canned that I'm finding right now for dogs and cats that has no potatoes is Natures Variety Instinct.

Are there others I might be missing?

I know - call me crazy - I've gone from grain to raw to grain-free kibbles back to those that have grains. I know there are some probably hitting their heads against the wall right now (here we go again! LOL). But processing out loud...if we were not even designed to eat grains, and as I start my own journey in that direction via The Primal Blueprint, shouldn't I do the same for my dogs and cats? I know the physiology is a different, but maybe not as much as I thought when it comes to eating animals and plants vs. animals, plants and grains?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know I could go raw again...so that is an option. But I do like to have stored items for emergency so having my dogs and cats used to a certain food would be nice :) Plus the cleanup with my old pipes in the house is not fun...they get clogged easily.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I love Nature's Variety Instinct formulas, especially the duck. Another grain-free food with no potatoes is Canine Caviar Split Pea and Venison.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Remember - with dogs it's not just grains, it's CARBS.

As for the raw - what clean-up problems were you having? I process about 6 pounds of food each day and have no clean-up issues. :)

As for emergency foods - food in my freezers (2 for the dogs, 1 for us) would stay frozen long enough for me to get through at least a week of raw feeding before I'd have to go out and buy stuff. I will feed foods that are 'off' and my dogs have no problem with it. One caveat - my dogs are all healthy. I don't know if I would feed really off stuff to a dog that wasn't healthy.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remember - with dogs it's not just grains, it's CARBS.

As for the raw - what clean-up problems were you having? I process about 6 pounds of food each day and have no clean-up issues. :)

As for emergency foods - food in my freezers (2 for the dogs, 1 for us) would stay frozen long enough for me to get through at least a week of raw feeding before I'd have to go out and buy stuff. I will feed foods that are 'off' and my dogs have no problem with it. One caveat - my dogs are all healthy. I don't know if I would feed really off stuff to a dog that wasn't healthy.
My pipes are old in this house and when I wash the chickens off there is some fatty water that gets in the drain and after about a week it starts backing up...so I have to use all those cleaners and then get a person to snake it for me. I guess if I processed everything at once and then froze that would work...and just keep the hot water going down the drain for a bit along with some hot soapy water like Dawn.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My partner's dog eats NV Instinct Rabbit for one meal and raw for the other. The proof is in the poop though--raw is more bio-available.
That's an idea....plus Jack def. has no issue with prepared raw (when I grind it up). He doesn't do as well trying to eat it on the bone. The poop in my yard turned to powder when I was on raw for them. I may just go with the NV for now. The Canine Cavear looks good as an option too.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
If the issue is the drains, premade raw is an option. A bit more expensive, but Bravo is generally $3/lb (if you get the bigger rolls, it can go down to $2/lb) and is a complete diet.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the issue is the drains, premade raw is an option. A bit more expensive, but Bravo is generally $3/lb (if you get the bigger rolls, it can go down to $2/lb) and is a complete diet.
Thank you. I will check on the pricing where I live and see how it compares. I do have to get Jack canned to give him his pill. So buying cans and kibble can get expensive. But if I'm not buying as much (which you don't with higher calorie foods) then it might work out to be the same. Jack was on NV raw for a bit. But it cost a lot of money to feed him that.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
My pipes are old in this house and when I wash the chickens off there is some fatty water that gets in the drain and after about a week it starts backing up...
Simple solution - don't wash the chickens. :)

Seriously, I rarely wash off anything my dogs eat. About the ONLL time I do rinse things off is when I feed a batch of green chicken - green as in the color because it has gone bad.

I rinse off some of the slime before feeding it.

Otherwise it goes from package to bowl. :)

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Lol, I was going to suggest the same thing but thought maybe I was doing something wrong by not washing my dog's chicken.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Okay - I'm almost through The Primal Blueprint book and I finally understand why my own weight loss goals don't work, even with good exercise routines.
*Warning Thread-Jack Below*

Do you have the cookbook? YUMMY stuff in there!!

*Now returning you all to your regularly scheduled Thread*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts