German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i hope to make some new friends here, my name is gen. I have a 6 month old german shepherd female named sally. We got her when she was about 2 weeks old. We were told she was a month, got all excited then when we got home we made the math and she was about 2 to 3 weeks old. I've took care of her, bottle fed her, taught her to sit & that's about it because now she hates me.. I seriously cry over it. She jumps up and bites me and only waits till i turn my back on her to jump on my back and bite. I adore her.. Sally has the most pretty eyes ever!! Idk what happened to her. She's not like that with my husband. Only with my brother and i. She sees us coming and she starts whimpering and crying and sort of barking and she urinates herself, and right when she's near, she tries biting our hands. And with me it's worse. I always end up scratched and bitten. There's children in the house, i don't know how to control her. My husband is out of town right now and she just gets worse by the day. She used to not be like that with me. Maybe i just thought of it as playing but it is not that. To me giving up on her is not an option, but the attacks get worse and everyone is're afraid she can try the same on the children.. Please help me. Idk what to do anymore. I have tried speaking to her in every tone possible and it just gets to the point where she runs away to gain speed and jumps on me. I have never feared any dog i have owned.. She's starting to terrify me. Please help.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
She doesn't hate you. She's excited and trying to engage you, she's just not going about it properly. I suggest you locate a respectable trainer that knows and likes GSDs and start working with them.

I hope others with more knowledge on this particular subject can chime in with more for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so that's all she wants? More attention from me? But how can i fix the biting and jumping? I've tried being the "pack leader" and she sort of got it for like 2 minutes... Then she seemed mad and i just let it go.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
If you look in the Training Our Puppy (basic) section of the board, there is a sticky at the top about teaching bite inhibition. You might read through it for some tips.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
As Kzoppa said, find a trainer. I am almost inclined to say a qualified behaviorist. Your pup missed a LOT of lessons being removed from the litter so early and that may be playing into some of the behavior you are seeing now.

With a trainer/behaviorist, your pup will learn obedience but most of all, you will learn the skills to handle her AND gain the needed confidence in yourself to handle her.

Be sure the trainer you locate knows GSD, talk with several, check their qualifications and talk with previous clients. Once they meet that criteria, be sure you are comfortable with them as well. They will be training you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you so much! All of u! I'm soooooo glad i found this site! GIVING HER UP WAS NEVER AN OPTION FOR ME!!!!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I suggest you also start nilif ( nothing in life is free) with her. That can help with establishing the pack leader role. She is also probably teething. Some people froze washcloths for their pup to gnaw on. I froze water bottles for Fiona to gnaw on or gave her ice cubes.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i do give her ice cubes after exercising her.. I didnt know they would help her teething though.. Not until a few weeks ago :) i just did it to cool her down .. And she has been improving.. She doesn't jump as much and i have tried just putting my hand to her nose and she won't bite.. And when she does, it's not a hard bite any more!! I just hope it goes like that with my brother also lol.. She doesn't acknowledge anyone else here much. Except my daughter, Sally is crazy in love with my kiddo. I am kind of afraid that she might try to jump on my daughter or try to bite. I trust she won't but she does get super excited to see her, so i just keep my kid close to me and tell her what not to do. Like touch Sally's toys, because she did nip hard trying to get one from me. Everyone's advice has worked wonders in these few days. THANK YOU!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts