German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So, Callie is now 17 weeks old. We take water away at 8:30 at night to help prevent middle of the night pottying, which I know is going to happen sometimes, BUT she has been getting up atleast twice and the second time about 4:30 she didn't even want to go out, she just wanted to lay on the back deck. We exercise her every evening by playing frisbee and throwing the ball (she loves to chase our other dog) and then we take them for a nice walk. So...what am I doing wrong? :help:

Registered
So...what am I doing wrong? :help:
Giving into her. Like anything, it will become a habit. Practice a little tuff love, tell her no & go back to sleep.

Registered
Nothing as far as I can tell. Welcome to owning a puppy. I like pups but they are a lot of work. Wife and I are going the rescue route these days. Gettting too old for pups and babies. I'm sure others may have some pointers for you.

Banned
Can you crate her? What time is her last potty at night?
She should be able to make it at least 6 hours at night then crate her
after her middle-of-the-night potty.
Can't blame her for wanting to lay on the deck at this time of year.

Registered
If you think she needs to potty take her outside on a leash. Don't talk to her, don't pet her, don't play with her. Take her out to potty, wait an appropriate time, use your potty command. Back in the house you go. Kennel her up, and go back to bed. If she cries do not go to her.

Registered
Where does she sleep at night?

Banned

Registered
I was going crazy for a while at night too. But I finally decided I was TIRED of a lot of trips out during the night and just told Stella to go back to sleep. She is now 16 weeks old and goes from 10 to 6:45 at night. She might even go a bit longer if my older dog would not get up at that time! I have to agree with a little tuff love....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts