German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Cant wait to read that! Have been butting heads with a few friends who think I am sentencing my dogs to death by genital related rot...

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Here is a great article on pyo. If you ever seen an infected uterus and see how quick it becomes severely life threatening and know that when a female makes it though this surgery she is incredibly lucky. I was unaware of cats getting pyo but all my cats have been spayed and at a young age living 19 years and no health issues. My female collie 13-14 and 2- American eskimos 18 years old all spayed. Never health issues. There healthy genetics pulled them through despite their lack of hormones I suppose. Luna will be spayed around 3 years of age. I had to have max neutered no behavioral changes. He is incredibly healthy though and sound prior. my intact male gsd developed arthritis at 8 years old and my intact make poodle suffered severe allergies and had suffered a stroke at a young age for a very little dog. Now I know that was all caused by their genetics. Although I do believe hormones are beneficial. It’s still all a roll of the dice to me intact or not.

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/pyometra

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Makes no difference to me. I didn't get a say. Both my dogs were shelter pups, speutered between 7 and 8 weeks. Would I have chosen that? NO! But it's done. Boh is a beagle mix, who will be 7 years old on Friday. Shelby is a big 'mostly' GSD girl, who will be 5 years old in August. So far, so good with health. No guarantees in life, no matter what you do.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Where in this article does it say this is research/evidence based? Didn't see the authors. Can you clarify?
I did not see any authors myself but I liked that they had things to look out for and the lay out of the article. I have noticed that they combine a few articles from a few online veterinary sources such as dvm 360, avma, animal veterinarian colleges. I linked in the above post from a accredited veterinarian source and there are many articles related to pyo.
http://www.news-gazette.com/living/2017-08-21/pet-talk-pyometra-true-veterinary-emergency.html article found in the avma Facebook page.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The article is a collection of selected studies, not a peer-reviewed study, just to clarify. I keep my males intact, but after pyo with my female- which is very common and deadly, will not be keeping females intact indenitely. You are welcome to roll the dice on this.

If being intact was magic bullet to perfect health, humans should be mostly all set.

I am mostly a keep intact advocate, but people really do need to be very aware of pyo, and I know of three older intact males, personally, who were neutered due to prostate issues - which fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Makes no difference to me. I didn't get a say. Both my dogs were shelter pups, speutered between 7 and 8 weeks. Would I have chosen that? NO! But it's done. Boh is a beagle mix, who will be 7 years old on Friday. Shelby is a big 'mostly' GSD girl, who will be 5 years old in August. So far, so good with health. No guarantees in life, no matter what you do.
That is a serious downside to rescuing puppies. I had a rescued male foster that was neutered when he was already mature, but developed significant behavior problems after neutering. My current female was spayed at 8 weeks. She had cancer and some other weird growths, and rare illnesses. As a result, and for other reasons, I would not adopted a dog again who had a pediatric speuter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What about OSS spay? Remove the uterus, but leave the ovaries. Very little chance for PYO? I see no reason on a female to take the ovaries unless there is an issue with them.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
What about OSS spay? Remove the uterus, but leave the ovaries. Very little chance for PYO? I see no reason on a female to take the ovaries unless there is an issue with them.
None of our local vets are trained to do that so they don’t. I would like to find someone who does in case I want that option with a future dog.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts