German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I live in Northern California and we're having some real concern with the dreaded "West Nile virus" you may have heard of. The mosquitos carrying this are on the rise, and I've heard that adding garlic to your dog's diet is one way I can help minimize the risk of the "skeeters" biting my Lex.

1. Should I use fresh garlic, garlic powder, or one of the "specially formulated" garlic powder supplements designed for dogs?
2. How much garlic is too much garlic? I've heard you have to be careful because you can make your dog very sick (or worse) if you get carried away with the garlic.

Any other thoughts, suggestions,etc...???

Thank you,
Craig

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I use Bug Off Garlic and follow the directions on the container. It definitely keeps off ticks but I haven't noticed that it makes the dogs less palatable to mosquitoes. I have been using it for 5 years, with 4 different dogs and have many friends who also use it. None of us have had problems with hepatic anemia. http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/dogs/azorganicneemdip.html

However, this product really does work: http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/dogs/azorganicneemspray.html

I was using it on myself this summer! They also make a shampoo/dip: http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/dogs/azorganicneemdip.html

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Actually, garlic does work great for keeping off fleas. It took awhile to find our golden fix, but we were waiting on a LATE shipment of Frontline and the fleas were going nuts. I started heaping on Badia garlic powder (just grocery store stuff) in Renji's food, each meal, and after several days, the itching was subsiding and I was seeing less fleas with each day. Then the Frontline came and we rejoiced. Now we keep the garlic going but bugs are a thing of the past. I don't think the mosquitoes bother him at training, but the small, blood-draining helicopters do land on me instead.

And since he gets fed raw, anytime he eats meals with garlic it smells like Festa Italiana in here.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The OP was asking about mosquitoes. I still do notice mosquitoes biting my dogs but perhaps more would be biting if I didn't give the garlic.

I think it does help some with fleas as my dogs have only ever gotten fleas once in the years since I've been giving it.

But that Neem spray is amazing. This summer at the cottage it kept everything off of Rafi...and me!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Avon Skin-So-Soft deters mosquitoes. They don't like the smell or something. When hiking and on camping trips I dab it on my dog's skin and just barely in spots on their fur (to avoid globby muddy oily fur), just lightly here and there. It's gentle and non toxic. At least, I've never had my dogs react and I use a bit of it on their tummies, which seem pretty sensitive. Obviously, the first time, you should use it extremely sparingly and be ready to wash it off immediately upon signs of sensitivity or an allergic reaction.

We all smell pretty "girly" (esp Dh!) but it works!

I think it comes in a spray form too. But I just use the original formula. I've had two big bottles that I bought from an Avon lady at work, three jobs ago. Still works great!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
And, I don't think that garlic does anything to deter mosquitoes. I have a feeling that it just makes us more attractive to them -- they are more attracted to humans when they sweat, and when we perspire after eating garlic, well, we're more, uh, olfactorally noticeable, shall we say?

We go out at dusk almost every night. We have watershed all around us. We keep moving and we keep the dogs moving to keep the mosquitoes off everyone as much as possible. And, as newGSDowner pointed out, we don't leave our dogs outside at night. When we're done playing, with our walks, etc, they come in, safe behind screens, windows and doors.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Vinegar and water spray works great also. I use this on my horses to keep the horseflies and mosquitoes off. You can also add the skin so soft to the mixture. Mosquitoes and flies do not like the vinegar...You can even dab straight ACV or plain vinegar on your hands and rub it on them..

Of course nothing will work against West Nile...However I don't really think there are many known cases of dogs getting it?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: AvamomDoes the Neem stuff you posted smell bad Ruth, most things with Neem in it have an unpleasant smell to me, but with those other ingredients I was wondering if this one was better?
Oops--just saw this questions--sorry Sinclair!

This stuff smells like citronella. I've gotten used to it and people often comment that Rafi smells nice when he has it on.
I really like it. It has healed up the skin damage from his mange too!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
Originally Posted By: AvamomDoes the Neem stuff you posted smell bad Ruth, most things with Neem in it have an unpleasant smell to me, but with those other ingredients I was wondering if this one was better?
Oops--just saw this questions--sorry Sinclair!

This stuff smells like citronella. I've gotten used to it and people often comment that Rafi smells nice when he has it on.
I really like it. It has healed up the skin damage from his mange too!
Smells like a tack room

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I do think that dogs are susceptible to the West Nile - there are quite a few horses that get it. It's very possible that like most humans, it only makes them feel a bit "off" for awhile. But I'm sure that there are those individuals dogs that would be very sensitive (hmmmm, can anyone say Indy??)

As for the garlic, if you start seeing loose stools, or a "licking of the butt", then generally that's too much garlic

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ace has been taking Bug Off Garlic by Springtime Inc since he was a wee pup......it works great....was recommended by his breeder...I started on the powder form (1 scoop per day) and now I'm trying the pill form (4 per day). Neither are too much for him.

I've NEVER seen fleas on him and have only found 2 ticks in 2 years and neither were actively attached. (and i live in a wooded area) As for mosquitoes, I'm not sure.....Here at the Jersey Shore we are ridden with the little buggers and i get eaten alive every night.....Ace scratches at times but I'm not sure if it's mosquitoes or his grass allergy......

Let me know if you find a definite answer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts