German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!

I am wondering what games I can play with Thunder who is 10 weeks old. I roughhouse with him a little, fetch if he brings it back to me, somethings we will play tug on a chew toy, but I am worried he might be getting bored. Any assistance appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am in the same frame of mind at the moment. Mine is 10 weeks also. Finding it more difficult to distract him from biting with toys. Bumping...

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
They might be too young but sarge and I play hide and go seek. Have someone take them out for a minute whil you hide in the house, let him in and have them say find, daddy or whatever the case may be. Shepherds need to know where everyone in the house is at all times so that game just plays into their thinking anyways. Sarge loves that game, his hair stands up and he goes on full alert until he sniffs me out.

Then he gets a treat and pets and told what a good boy he is. I doubt it would take much to teach them the game. If need be, call them and give them a hint as where you are so they learn how to play the game. Once they get it, they'll love it!!! And it will help to wear them out a little if you have a big enough house..lol

Its also a good game to play if its raining outside and you want to spend some fun time with them.Just quietly sneek off from them or have someone distract them while you hide.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Apollo is slightly younger than your pups but we work on tug of war, fetch (but he seems to lose sight of the ball) We also work on basic commands, come and sit right now.

He seems to have a short attention span so we only work for short periods of time. Of course he also likes to wrestle with Rocky.

I have tried the hide and seek with Apollo, but he seems to have a hard time finding me unless he is following Rocky. Even if I am stanind somewhere calling him. Of course if he sees me walk away he will definitely give chase. (Doesnt like mommy to be out of his sight LOL)

Might be a great game for Rocky though. When Rocky was a pup we used to play hide and seek with his toys. We would hide it, under a towel, or behind something and let him find it. He used to love that.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Have you tried/started with clicker training? I started this year with Kayla and love it. With a new puppy coming home in a few weeks, I've been putting together a plan for him. Here is a post from another thread from MaggieRoseLee that includes some links to some amazing videos of very young puppies responding to clicker.

Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeEverett54 is right, yet another great thing about using the clicker is it works crazy well for even an 8 week old puppy! All happy, fun, treats. Just have to remember to keep the sessions very short. But you can have them thru out the day.

This puppy is ONLY 6 weeks old! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4wG8q0DXbA

7 week old GSD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GMpTTEo3Y4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJP9QCXhL1k this is a 10 week old Lab that's been clicker trained!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIHDwnK6DOw
The entire thread is here: Clicker Training?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
It funny you ask. I was thinking what games people play also.
Gracies favorite games (16 weeks )
Tennis Ball, will chase till my arm falls off....
Water bottle(Small size), empty
she detroys them pretty fast but it must feel good to her teeth....
I drilled a hole thru a tennis ball and put a rope on it...Tied it to a limb on a tree , it hangs down just a little above her head...She really likes that one....
oh yeah , almost forgot , If you ask Gracie, Im sure it would be dad trying to put his socks on........
Trying to succeed with Tired pup is good pup.
Can be a challange some times.
have Fun
OldTimer46

·
Registered
619 Posts
Jackson has his big brother to constantly play with...and then he has chase the cat...and outside he plays "hide in the pampas grass where Mommy can't get me"

·
Registered
229 Posts
My GSD Kuno is 7 months old, and besides the usual fetch type play (he is learning to be a great frisbee catcher), he likes to play on the floor inside with a favorite toy and avoid "the claw", which is my hand put out like a claw that is going to "get him". But is favorite game is "I'm gonna get you" - usually outside.... where I chase him while he has a toy in his mouth. I try to take it away from him and he loves it. Like keep away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts