German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested in hearing about games and activities people do with their dogs for some new ideas. Here are some of the ones we have done with Newlie.

Newlie has attended two different obedience classes. He has done a little agility, swimming and cart-pulling.

Newlie loves chasing balls outside and likes going for walks and car rides. I also put up a tetherball pole for him in the yard.

In the house, sometimes I put a ball in the middle of the hallway, with me at one end and him at the other, and he has to wait till I say "Go" to race to the ball. (He always wins, big surprise!) I also hide either a toy or treat and tell him to go "find." Sometimes, I scatter his toys and tell him to go pick them up and put them "in the box." I have been trying to teach Newlie the names of different toys and thought I was having success until I realized he thought every toy was named "ball." He hasn't had his "Helen Keller" moment yet.
I hide treats or toys under say, one of three cardboard boxes, and he has to pick out the right one. I attached a ribbon to one of his toys and put it up high and he had to figure out how to get it down by himself. (Stand on his hind legs and pull on the ribbon, it took him about 30 seconds,) I made an inexpensive flirt stick and Newlie seems to really like that. We also play "fridge ball" where I bounce a ball off the refrigerator and he catches it.

I try to incorporate commands into all of his games so that it exercises his mind as well as his body. He is really doing well with his heeling and recall.

Anyway, I would love to hear other ideas, just simple little things you do at home. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
You have great ideas for simple indoor games which would be fun to do especially when the the weather is bad. Outside I sometimes play "keep away". I toss the ball to Sting - then I slowly approach - he watches - takes the ball - moves a little way - I start stalking again - he lets me get a foot closer then he the grabs his ball - runs in a circle and returns it to me to trade for a treat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts