German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 15 yrs. since I needed to socialize a young dog to worldly experiences. I started by

taking her to a busy supermarket and just sat outside on a bench watching people come and go.

She was fascinated and stared at every single person and was alert to all the noises of a busy

parking lot with fire engines and noisy trucks and highway traffic. She relaxed after 30-40 min.

and laid down at my feet, still watching all. We had one 5 yr. old come up to pet her. All OK.

Then I took her to the feed store where she could go inside and stroll around. Again, a very busy

place. She loves to ride in the truck and is wide-eyed like a country bumpkin in the city.

What are more places you would suggest I take her. We have a train station nearby that I

want to expose her to the steam engine and noise.

Any other ideas? She's not ready for a dog park yet.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Tractor supply and home depot also allow dogs in most places (might want to call ahead just to be sure), parks and playgrounds so she can watch children playing and other people and dogs walking by - just maintain a comfortable distance, schools when nobody is there, bleachers, ride in an elevator, walk on many many different surfaces, all sorts of things to climb on -logs, rocks, playground equipment when not in use, park benches, etc..., manhole covers, steel grates... there's really no end. It's all about exposure, the more the merrier as long as the puppy is not overwhelmed.

Reactions: Orphan Heidi

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
This dog is new to you and from what you have posted does not have any socialization issues. If I were you, I would slow way down and give the dog a chance to decompress and bond with you.

Reactions: GypsyGhost

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shelter vet estimated 2 yrs. old. But, IMO, she is mentally immature and lacks exposure to common things.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Town Hall when you go for dog license etc, post office, some banks allow dogs in. Mine does. These are places that are relatively quiet and a good place to teach the pup/dog to sit patiently and not jump up on the counter. Also the fire dept and police station has let us in for brief periods. Liquor stores but I'm picky where and at what time of day. Early mid morn worked for us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts