German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last several days Miikka has been gagging. She’s not doing it a lot but enough to make me take notice – maybe 2-3 times a day. It’s almost like she has something stuck in her throat. She’ll start making a coughing-like noise and then look like she’s going to throw something up- like she’s gagging.

She has been blowing her coat – started within the last few days. I wonder if she has fur stuck in her throat or something. She’s been drinking water ok so I would think if she did have something stuck it would have washed down by now, though. What else could it be? :thinking:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sounds like kennel cough to me too. Call your vet and keep her away from other dogs.
Oh, no. I’m actually dog sitting right now! I don’t know how she could have gotten kennel cough as she rarely goes any where. I don’t take her to the dog park or anyplace like that. Is kennel cough easily transmitted? We do run in to other dogs out on walks. Could she have picked up the bug this way?

I should add..the dog I have been dog sitting is not sick with KC.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I goggled kennel cough and although it sounds similar to what Miikka is currently experiencing, I just don’t know how she could have gotten it. Plus, she has had a bordatella vaccine. So, I don’t think its kennel cough.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Eek! How are her energy levels, appetite, etc? Regen had her bordatella vac. as well, but she did get a similar-sounding cough once over the summer that lasted 2-3 days. David described it the exact same way- like she was choking or about to throw up. Her energy was a little down for the 2-3 days as well- but when we called the vet, they said it could be allergies since she had been vaccinated for kennel cough. It went away by the time she actually saw the vet but when they checked her out, everything looked fine. This was back in July sometime.

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
The bordatella vax does not guarantee they won't catch a respiritory virus-in fact some dogs get a mild case from the vaccination!
I would start vitamin C if you haven't got her on it already, it will help support the immune system.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Sounds like KC to me. I just went through this with my lab who was also vaccinated. The vaccination itself only protects against a few strains and in actuality KC is equivalent to our human cold. There are thousands of strains and it is highly contagious and easy to transmit. I gave my lab a few days before taking him in because he was eating and drinking normally and otherwise just fine. However, if it persists or gets worse you should probably take her in for some antibiotics to be safe:)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eek! How are her energy levels, appetite, etc? Regen had her bordatella vac. as well, but she did get a similar-sounding cough once over the summer that lasted 2-3 days. David described it the exact same way- like she was choking or about to throw up. Her energy was a little down for the 2-3 days as well- but when we called the vet, they said it could be allergies since she had been vaccinated for kennel cough. It went away by the time she actually saw the vet but when they checked her out, everything looked fine. This was back in July sometime.
Other than this gagging, she is absolutely fine! Today, Regen was more subdued than Miikka was! So whatever it is, it’s not slowing her down any.

When she first started this gagging, I wondered if she had a bone stuck in her throat but if that were the case she’d be gagging constantly and not just occasionally. It’s been going on for about 3-4 days now. I have no idea why she’s doing it. I suppose it could be allergies.

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
It isn't a reverse sneeze? I had a foster that did this, it freaked him out when he did it so I'd just calmly pet him til the episode was over. I'm sure it was some type of respiratory bug that caused it.
After having him in my home for a few weeks he quit, better diet and supplements helped, I'm sure.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It isn't a reverse sneeze? I had a foster that did this, it freaked him out when he did it so I'd just calmly pet him til the episode was over. I'm sure it was some type of respiratory bug that caused it.
After having him in my home for a few weeks he quit, better diet and supplements helped, I'm sure.
Nope, it's not a reverse sneeze. She's sort of cough's then followed up with an open-mouth gag. The cough sort of sounds like a whooping crane - hack, hack, gag....well, it's hard to describe. The first time DH heard it he look at me and said "What in the H*** is that noise" I told him it was Mikka. He said she needs to go to the vet. I should probably call tomorrow.

I do have her on Ester-C, 1 tablet per day. Can she take more than that?

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
she can have up to 2000mg of C a day, EsterC has calcium added so isn't recommended for young pups in larger doses. As Mikka is almost a yr? she can probably do the larger dose, just split it between meals.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Your dog is showing classic mild kennel cough and, yes, it is very contagious. You could have tracked it in on your shoes, clothes, or she could have picked it up on a walk. Call the vet tomorrow and be sure to tell the owner of the dog you are dogsitting and keep her away from other dogs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
^Regen is the dog that she is petsitting. :) Hopefully she doesn't come down with kennel cough.
If it *is* kennel cough that Miikka has, when we brought Regen in for the same thing in July, the vet told us that there wasn't anything to do except wait it out (like a cold).

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I will take her in tomorrow. Is there a test they can do to verify that it is KC?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^Regen is the dog that she is petsitting. :) Hopefully she doesn't come down with kennel cough.
If it *is* kennel cough that Miikka has, when we brought Regen in for the same thing in July, the vet told us that there wasn't anything to do except wait it out (like a cold).
I'll take Miikka in tomorrow and let you know ASAP what I find out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Keep me posted...hope it isn't anything serious.
I hope Regen doesn't come down with it because she'll have to face her separation anxiety fears head on if she can't be around other dogs! Double Ester-C doses for both pups!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keep me posted...hope it isn't anything serious.
I hope Regen doesn't come down with it because she'll have to face her separation anxiety fears head on if she can't be around other dogs! Double Ester-C doses for both pups!
Well, one positive is that Buddy does not have any type of cough at all. So, considering how contagious KC is, you’d think Buddy would have it too, by now.

Yes double up on the Ester-C! :)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Your vet may not have you come in at all depending on what's going on with your dog as they don't want your contagious dog in the clinic if they don't have to. There is no test for this, they just go by the symptoms.

This is an extremely contagious disease, like the common cold, yet there are dogs that can be directly exposed and still not come down with it. One of my dogs got this a couple of years ago and as I had two other dogs of my own and a big trial coming up, the vet put my dog on cough suppressant and antibiotics so he could rest better, decrease his airway irritation, and deal with any secondary infection. Neither of my other dogs got it and my dog got better very quickly. On the other hand, you bring in one infected dog to a dog show or to dog school, and most of the dogs in the place come down sick.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vet does not think Miikka has kennel cough. She thinks it might be similar to seasonal allergies (like hay fever) and its phlegm in her throat. Anyone ever hear of dogs getting hay fever???? :shrug:

Anyway, at this point it’s all guess and/or “let’s keep an eye on it.” I paid $75 for that??? Good grief! :eek:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts