German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw that EVO now has grain free treats and another co. Plato pet treats also has grain free treats. Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone is interested.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Thanks!! We do grain free for Havoc and it is particularly hard to find grain free treats.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Are they training treats or more of crunchy biscuit? Petco has grain free biscuits at their biscuit bar...but kind of pricey. I am looking for a grain free training treat...

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Natural Balance has grain free treats - Potato/Duck and Sweet Potato/Fish. Not carbohydrate free, but definitely grain free. Wellness has a grain free biscuit formula also, and grain free jerky bites.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Are they training treats or more of crunchy biscuit? Petco has grain free biscuits at their biscuit bar...but kind of pricey. I am looking for a grain free training treat...
I can only speak for the weight management ones, they are dry and crunchy. Kinda crumbly when you break them. Both my dogs seem to like them.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I am looking for something I can cut up in tiny pieces that's not crunchy for training...
Natural Balance rolls (come in Lamb, Turkey and Beef) can be cut up into very small pieces - I use them for tracking. They aren't completely grain free however, but are cost effective and last for a very long time if you refrigerate them.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Only use grain-free treats here for a dog with grain allergies. We use the Wellness Pure jerky treats for training. Cut in half and they are the perfect size for training. We also use Grizzly NuTreats (wild salmon) for training.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The Evo treats are crunchy... little hearts and such.. I bought all the flavors, dogs are less than thrilled... for something a little softer, if you can believe it... WALMART sells a grain free " training style" treat. I will try to look this week when I go and see the name of the brand, but they are OK! I personally make my own jerky and liver treats, cheaper, and I know what's in em!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The Evo treats are crunchy... little hearts and such.. I bought all the flavors, dogs are less than thrilled... for something a little softer, if you can believe it... WALMART sells a grain free " training style" treat. I will try to look this week when I go and see the name of the brand, but they are OK! I personally make my own jerky and liver treats, cheaper, and I know what's in em!
Really at Walmart? I never even go near the "pet" isle there! Update when you go!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Ha, amazingly, they have 2" wide nylon collars that I love for training, and I have been known to buy throw aways there ( until I found the clearence center, where I get my leather collars and leashes for 25 cents-5 bucks). When I found the grain free treats, I remember they were $1 or 1.25 a bag, and they were right close to the chicken jerky treats that I was picking up ( I usually go to sams, but we were out). I will be there today or tomorrow, and I will check!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Zukes are nice but have barley in them. Maybe rice too.

For grain free, soft training treats I use NB Duck & Potato roll, which you cut up in pieces and Saber thinks is THE BEST training treat ever... I also use tiny cubes of cheese. You can also use hot dogs since they are typically grain free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beef Liver for Training Treats...

I am looking for something I can cut up in tiny pieces that's not crunchy for training...

Hi - I'm not sure that you even need this anymore but Beef liver is cheap - I fry it in olive oil and it's easily sliced. My dogs love it and it's a real attention getter - works especially well when I want them to "leave it." - They'll leave almost anything for a teeny weeny slice of liver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts