German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got one for Chase he has been shedding like crazy! And it has helped what do you think of them do you use them?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I recently got one for Chase he has been shedding like crazy! And it has helped what do you think of them do you use them?
I have one and use it regularly. Love it. Best brush I've ever used. Thinking about getting the vacuum attachment accessory.

Joe

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
No, seems to 'cut' coat.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I honestly don't like them
The undercoat rake is my favorite tool and finishing off with a slicker.

I am in LOVE with this particular undercoat rake ..... This is the best one I have owned in 30 years!.....Mine is the larger version with the long pins (they only have the small on amazon right now) and I have the larger version with the short pins in my Amazon cart. The pins are spring loaded and so gentle on the dog and really seem to work better than anything I have used.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
The furminater has a blade up close to the handle.If you press down too hard while brushing the fur gets cut off.There are other threads on here with pictures of dogs with their fur cut down to the skin.If you're not brushing gently you can get bald patches and an uneven looking coat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Nope, won't use one, my dogs need all their coat, when they blow coat I bath, then use a metro dryer to blow out loose coat then finish off with a wide pin brush and comb.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned here. The brush works efficiently and with minimal effort. Regarding cutting the coat ... can't imagine how you manage to do that. You aren't supposed to use it on a wet/damp coat. I gently brush her with it and it works wonders.

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned here. The brush works efficiently and with minimal effort. Regarding cutting the coat ... can't imagine how you manage to do that. You aren't supposed to use it on a wet/damp coat. I gently brush her with it and it works wonders.
I've only had it for 3 days and there is no sign of Chase's coat being cut. He is currently blowing his puppy coat since 4 months to now he has been shedding since I got this furminater it has helped so much! I love it! Alot of gsd owners say it is the best thing for Gsds I agree.

·
Registered
78 Posts
To be honest, i got a Shed magic brush from Tractor supply.. was like $20, and it looks just like the Furminator and in my opinion works just as good.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I got one (well, a cheap knock-off), and it didn't work well for either Keeta or Gryffon - for Gryffon it only seemed to pull the guard hairs out, and didn't do anything for the undercoat.

Keeta had very fine, soft long hair - the hairs would foul the brush and 'plug' it after a couple of strokes, so it wasn't very useful for her either.

My favorite brushes was a slicker brush for Keeta, and a double-row undercoat rake for Gryffon.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Just curious why don't you use it on you coatie?
Shelby may be a PB GSD, or not. I adopted her from a KY shelter as an 8 week old. Her coat is fairly long and thick. She has ear poofies and tail fans. The furminator just didn't seem the best tool for her coat. Annie was a stock coat and it worked great. I even use the furminator on my hound mix. I'm not saying I have never used the furminator on Shelby, but only on certain areas. I prefer a shedding comb or pin brush on Shelby.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I got one at a thrift store for $2. I use it occassionally, mostly on the "thighs" and I use it lightly. Not my "go to" for much of anything but I do use it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts