German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about ordering a Fur Saver for Xander for some time now. Since he's only 4 months though I'm not sure if I should wait or if you can just order a big (or the biggest) size expecting he will grow into it.

I would be using it primarily on the dead ring when out for walks so there is something to put his tags on.

When I go for walks with him now I use a nylon martingale with the part you attach to the leash being chain - he hasn't tried to walk through it (yet) but it seems to be working for now.

I know the Fur Savers can be dangerous if left on a dog unattended but I wouldn't be leaving it on him like that.

I've been using a flat collar for his tags but it really does affect his fur and so I was hoping to buy a fur saver at some point. However, I don't want to buy ten fur savers for each of his growth stages :D

At this point I'm not sure if I'll eventually have to switch from a martingale (for going for walks) to a prong or other type of correction collar since, at this point, he's walking on a leash with no pulling.

I guess what I am having trouble with is:

- Why can't I just get a bigger fur saver than he would need today and hope he doesn't outgrow it too fast?

- Is there another collar that I should be looking into getting?

The reason I like the fur saver is that it can be used on a dead link or a live link and doesn't affect (as much) his coat.

I think there must be something I'm missing or not taking into consideration with this...Any thoughts/advice?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is long coated and I use a fur saver only when he's on a leash. You don't want one that's so big that you don't have control with it- I did have to go up a size this month when he turned 1, but the 1st one I bought was the lesser expensive chrome rather than the stainless. I got it on leerburg.com

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think any collar left on a dog can be dangerous. my dogs collar is never on when he's home. i think you should get a fur saver now. you'll
probably have to buy a couple as the pup grows. my pup went from
a flat collar to a choker. i might have bought 2 or 3 chokers before
he stopped growing. i recycle his old collars, bowls, toys, etc. i
take whatever it is i'm getting rid of and leave at the dog park. someone can always use something.

I know the Fur Savers can be dangerous if left on a dog unattended but I wouldn't be leaving it on him like that.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Wait until he is all grown up. I'm on Fur Saver #3 since Gryffon was 6 months old - he just kept growing and filling out and outgrowing the Fur Saver I had!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I like fursavers - but only after my dogs have been through, at the very least, a basic OB course. They give very little to no control, and you can't effectively correct a dog while it's wearing one. I would never leave it unsupervised on any dog, and I went through a couple per dog as they grew....... the old ones I no longer had any use for I gave to friends who had younger dogs, or smaller dogs. Putting a too big collar on any dog is not the way to go IMO.....

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts