German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fit please ?

Just checking to see much much extra play for correction should be left once collar is on ?

I just bought a HS 21" & have about 2-3 links play at the end. Ok or not ? It doesn't fit real loose & hang way down on his neck & a somewhat tight fit over his big old head when putting on !

Want to make sure I have the right fit + if buying for the others, will know !

Thanks much

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Well, you have to get it over his head! I really don't use it for a "correction" as it is not very effective. I use it as a collar to keep on my dogs in case I need to grab them. If I attach a leash to a fur saver, I usually attach it to the live ring and then one of the links as well to ensure a snug fit that they cannot slip.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. No good then for a correction (puller on lead) collar then ? I thought it would be just like a choaker (which I like the results, but don't use anymore) only not as harmful.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i luv my herm sprenger choker collar. i really hate to use the name choke chain, so we'll call it a slip collar. i had the traditional one for training, but it did pull storm's hair as his hair is a bit longer around the neck area. when i got my hs i got the thinnest one that i could get away with. the thinner ones work better for the correction because the slip ring is actually going over more of the links in a shorter time, so therefore it makes a better noise and hence the correction. my trainer has 45 years experience and is a retired canine cop. i did the choker training and it made a huge difference in storm. just do not leave a slip collar on when the dog is not under your watch. it can get caught up on something and the dog can actual strangle. they should be for training only.

·
Registered
478 Posts
oh, there should be at least 3 to 4 inches of slack to give the correction. i don't go by links but more by inches. i think i have the 21 for storm and he is 82.4 pounds. if you're having a hard time getting it over his head, but still have the appropriate 3 to 5 inches of slack, you can put it on over one ear at a time. i do that for storm. slide the collar over the one ear, then the other. it's easier to get on.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS !

This is for our boy Storm which also has longer neck hair ! Big head & thin neck. LOL

I bought the 21" , but thinking maybe I should have got the 23" ???? Didn't come even or I would have got the 22" ! He is also in between 85-90 lbs. Hated it to be too long though ! I have maybe at least 3" of slack.

It's not the fur-saver you have then ?

I also have went to the smaller 2.0 size pronge & trying that ! Boy that sure grabs the hair compared to the 3.0 pronge ! Going from about 6-7 prongs to 12 !!!

I just was hoping the fur-saver would work great for correction & I would have to use the pronge less.................

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
the fur saver is not a "correction" collar....I rarely even put it on a live ring (which causes it to tighten), but just any old link at all.

The thinner the point on the prong, the more umph behind the correction....just like bits on horses, the bigger thicker mouthpieces are milder, and thinner ones are more severe.

Lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts