German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't see a thread about this modern update to the conventional dog tag but in the wake of my near death brush with finding my lost dog, it merits a look:

QR Code Pet Tags

Basically, this is a high-tech collar/tag readable by a smartphone QR reader or similar scanner - which nearly every one has and can include a wealth of information about the dog name, gender, description, personal contact information, name of vet and medical history, vaccinations and current pet license information - all on one collar/tag.

This isn't meant to replace a microchip but its an adjunct way of getting a lost pet quickly back to its owner. The cost is very small and the pet profile can be quickly updated online anytime.

I think Fur Code is necessary equipment every GSD owner ought to have on hand. Losing a beloved dog can be a distressing experience and this makes locating the dog's owner very simple. Every GSD owner should have a tag and the collar too, just in in case the tag somehow happens to get lost.

One can't pay too much for peace of mind and here it costs very little to secure.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm a definite fan of Fur Code, I use them in addition to having name plates on collars that just have my name and number for quick convenience, but it's nice to know that if they ever get lost someone will at least have vet info and whatever contact info they need should I not be available by cell for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
You can make your own free link with info + QR code and not have to pay this place for service. It's a nice touch, but I work for a large company and no one scans QR codes anymore =/ maybe if they found a dog they would.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can make your own free link with info + QR code and not have to pay this place for service. It's a nice touch, but I work for a large company and no one scans QR codes anymore =/ maybe if they found a dog they would.
They encode the information in the collar/tag. How many people think to look for a microchip or even have a scanner on hand? Not many. But every one does have a smartphone or they have access to a website so even if they can't scan the QR information on the front, they can quickly look up the link listed on the back of the tag and look up the pet profile.

When people see the tag, they can find the relevant information fast. Conventional tags get outdated when one moves or changes phone numbers but the QR code tag information can be instantly updated online. Its a good idea and it should have been thought of decades ago. It won't replace microchipping that every one agrees is a good idea to do but having backup ID always helps.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
They encode the information in the collar/tag. How many people think to look for a microchip or even have a scanner on hand? Not many. But every one does have a smartphone or they have access to a website so even if they can't scan the QR information on the front, they can quickly look up the link listed on the back of the tag and look up the pet profile.

When people see the tag, they can find the relevant information fast. Conventional tags get outdated when one moves or changes phone numbers but the QR code tag information can be instantly updated online. Its a good idea and it should have been thought of decades ago. It won't replace microchipping that every one agrees is a good idea to do but having backup ID always helps.
I am just saying that this can be done for free, well the cost of the tag should be the only cost, its free to make online profiles at many sites and its free to make a QR code with a link. Just need to make it save it and print a custom tag for $10. I will post more info when I get home. Just trying to help people do the same thing for less =) I personally don't have $8 for a link and a QR code, but I have the $10 to do it once!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just saying that this can be done for free, well the cost of the tag should be the only cost, its free to make online profiles at many sites and its free to make a QR code with a link. Just need to make it save it and print a custom tag for $10. I will post more info when I get home. Just trying to help people do the same thing for less =) I personally don't have $8 for a link and a QR code, but I have the $10 to do it once!
The cost of the tag is about $7 and you don't have reoccurring fees. You pay once and that's it. The only cost you're out of is making the tag, which is competitively priced with a conventional tag and if it ever gets chewed up or lost, the company will replace it free of charge. And the profile is essentially free forever after you've bought the tag!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Oh!!! i guess i was misreading, than that's a good deal for sure =) !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts