German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I asked for help getting Norah to tug, I tried a few things and was making what I thought was good progress. A few days ago I had done some obedience with her in the paddock, I was playing with her to "wind her up" a bit when I noticed that she was grabbing at the sleeve of my fleece. Not wanting to stop her I pulled my arm into the sleeve and let her tug it, she LOVED it...
By the time I got back to the house the sleeve on my right arm was hanging off and I have since cut the whole thing into "tug toys"

My husband just rolled his eyes and shook his head !:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Good work! Good thing he didn't start tugging on your pants! Lol. I can't get Ranger to tug yet. When using the flirt pole with him, he'll just trot along with it in his mouth like a pony, going along with whatever direction I move it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never had much success with the flirt pole although if I'd tied my cat to it I might have, as she loves trying to chase him! Tea towels with knots in them worked well, but the fleece seems to be her favourite!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was always taught that you don't want to play tug with your puppy, that it in a way teaches aggression. Also, the dog shouldn't learn it's ok to exhibit the behavior with it's master, that you are not his equal. Is that just old school thinking?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was always taught that you don't want to play tug with your puppy, that it in a way teaches aggression. Also, the dog shouldn't learn it's ok to exhibit the behavior with it's master, that you are not his equal. Is that just old school thinking?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yes, indeed. Tug played correctly is fun and very useful for the dog to learn who is master, bite inhibition, "let go", "tug" and the whole nine yards. You control everything, dog learns obedience and it's fun! I'm not a training master, but I do know that for every tugging war, I win. Dog must let me win because I ask for "give" or "let go". Then I praise, dog is happy, and we do it all over again! :wild:

I know what you're talking about though...there was an old school of thought against tug play, but it was unfounded and I'm not sure how it perpetuated for a while. But read up on current dog training and you'll see (and experience, if you try it) an entirely different, sensible, useful, fun training method.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Norah's tug toys are controlled by me, I keep them, I get them out to play, I initiate the game and I put and end to it and don't give her access to the toys until the next game. It's a great way of getting them to focus on you..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts