German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and his girlfriend are in the kitchen studying.. Wolfie is in there laying near them. I am in the lkivingroom and I hear Wolfies collar jungling like he's tearing up a napkin or something. I ask my son what the dog is doing. He says just chewing a bone. I said areyou sure? My son says yes he's right here under the table. I say can you actually see him chewing a bone? My son says yeAh And then his giRlfriend says No he's not he's chewing gum! He went in her backpack and got the pack of Gum. She checked And said all the pieces are accounted for. My question is what if he did swallow gum? I know it can,t be good for him but could it do some serious damage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Of course Wolfie is chewing gum...why wouldn't he. I'm sorry, but his littermates must be boring dogs, because Wolfie got a whole litterfull of personality!! :p Every time I hear a Wolfie story, I have to laugh!

I'm not sure about the gum, but as long as it was only a little bit I would think it would just pass through him, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
I LOVE Wolfie stories!!!

I wouldn't worry if Wolfie did end up getting a piece of gum. Our previous GSD ate a whole pack of gum that he swiped from someone's bag. He was fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I was a bit worried that he might have swallowed some.Yes Wolfie has a huge personality but I don't think he's the only one from his litter that's mischievous. My trainer said she saw Wolfie's breeder at the school last week with one of Wolfie's littermates. He was out of control. Apparently the owners returned him because they couldn't handle him. Luckily I am not a first time GSD owner and I can handle Wolfie and find his antics hilarious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,983 Posts
Be careful with gum. If the gum is sugarless, it may have xylatol in it and that is deadly for dogs. So shove hand in mouth and remove gum. Better safe than sorry. Xylatol is safe for humans, kind of like chocolate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts
I have to laugh, wolfie we love you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
i would have to say if the gum in total is larger then the diameter of his poo then your ok LOL... unless of course xylitol... i also saw that in one of my books that its poisonous so at least there are 2 sources.. im just guessing but if the gum contained xylitol the vet "might" (and im no vet) want you to induce vomiting... or just stick a tube and pump him full of charcoal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,250 Posts
Yeah, I don't know about the gum, but cute story! Sounds just like a teenage boy (I'm assuming he's a teenager, anyway?) to assume the dog is doing what he should be doing! XD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't know that about xylotol. I did take the gum from his mouth and we counted all the pieces ecause she only had one piece missing out of the pack. That's good to know. Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I don't know about the gum, but cute story! Sounds just like a teenage boy (I'm assuming he's a teenager, anyway?) to assume the dog is doing what he should be doing! XD
Yes he is 19. LOL!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top