German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Oh dear, I know you are going to get some comments.
Dogs can get O.C.D. with laser play! It can cause real problems.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Very very VERY bad toy to play with!! Dogs can get completely obsessed with chasing lights and shadows after playing with a laser pointer! It does something to their brain - they spend ALL THEIR time looking for lights and shadows to chase, not interested in anything else!

I've read about dogs that would go through a window to chase the headlights of a car. Read about a Rottweiler that spent ALL day trying to climb furniture and trying to climb the wall to get to a chandelier, people come to the forum and post about how their dogs just stare and stare and stare at on point on the ground, waiting for the laser to appear. How they paw and paw and paw the spot where they last saw the laser light until their paws bleed and the floor is wrecked!

There should be major warnings on those things - not a good toy to play with.

Yes, some people use the laser with their dogs, and they are fine - but I wouldn't take the chance. Some dogs are just not the same after only one session.

So, bottom line, not a good idea. :(

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very very VERY bad toy to play with!! Dogs can get completely obsessed with chasing lights and shadows after playing with a laser pointer! It does something to their brain - they spend ALL THEIR time looking for lights and shadows to chase, not interested in anything else!

I've read about dogs that would go through a window to chase the headlights of a car. Read about a Rottweiler that spent ALL day trying to climb furniture and trying to climb the wall to get to a chandelier, people come to the forum and post about how their dogs just stare and stare and stare at on point on the ground, waiting for the laser to appear. How they paw and paw and paw the spot where they last saw the laser light until their paws bleed and the floor is wrecked!

There should be major warnings on those things - not a good toy to play with.

Yes, some people use the laser with their dogs, and they are fine - but I wouldn't take the chance. Some dogs are just not the same after only one session.

So, bottom line, not a good idea. :(
Whoa... I feel bad now :/ I didn't mean to. I only did it once and it was maybe for like 1 minute at most. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
No worries! You didn't know! Also didn't want to all jump on you, the detailed post if so that others reading the thread get more info on how dangerous playing with a laser light can be.

·
Premium Member
11,252 Posts
Glad there are so many who understand this. I knew a guy with a young male - about 2 years old who was OCD after laser play (alot of it) .... he would stand and stare at the ground and just pounce...over and over and over....he ended up having seizures and had to be put down....this is really really bad....I used to have one for the cats....they would chase it up and down a hallway....did not seem as bad in cats, but I would never do it now.

Lee

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Emorygsd I did not know either. I played with Fiona and a laser for 10 minutes. Then I put it away for the next 3 hours she kept looking for it. It freaked me out and I learned how dangerous it was. She still looks for shadows and last night light reflected off my iPad and she started looking for it. She needs to be redirected. Don't worry, you didn't harm your pretty girl.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I read before where a dog became obsessed with light reflections after the owner played laser light games. The poor dog actually jumped over a balcony to chase a light which I'm sure was just a reflections from the traffic:(

Thank you for being so receptive to not using the laser again!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our dog loves the laser, she does not have OCD. If its out, she has fun, if we put it away, she does not seek it or do weird things. But I have heard some dogs get crazy over the laser.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Our dog loves the laser, she does not have OCD. If its out, she has fun, if we put it away, she does not seek it or do weird things. But I have heard some dogs get crazy over the laser.
I can only say play at your own risk.

Why not just toss a ball around? The laser is also a game that they just cannot win...no reward.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I can only say play at your own risk.

Why not just toss a ball around? The laser is also a game that they just cannot win...no reward.
I agree, there are so many other ways to play or interact and the dog can never catch the laser which is frustrating.
My son used one once with Onyx and she kept digging at the carpeting after that. I stopped the play immediately and told my son to never ever use it around the dogs. She would be the dog that became OCD due to a laser pointer.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Far better would be if you get her outside with a ball.
Often.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Havoc doesn't care about lasers but Tempest accidentally played with one--it's on one of our remotes--don't know why, didn't know it was there. We let her play with it twice more and put a stop to it because she was obsessing. It's been months but she still comes tearing into the media room if she hears the drawer with that remote open.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts