German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 month old intact male white GSD. I call him Snowy, which is really apropos. We live in Texas and we just had a bunch of snow. He loved it.

I have been teaching him some tricks. When Snowy is NOT distracted... he will come when called, sit, shake, lie, stand, touch (my outstretched hand), go into his crate, stay, and be free. He will even open his crate door if it's closed in order to go inside.

When Snowy IS distracted... he's a hot mess. LOL

One thing he loves to do is when he thinks I am not paying attention to him as much as I should - he will grab one of my socks from wherever I have hidden them and parades around with it in his mouth. Since I reward this behavior by immediately reacting, I guess I have trained it. Sigh.

I am trying to train him to take a piece of paper from me and give it to someone else. So far, all this has resulted in is soggy papers as he runs around with it in his mouth.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nadja does the same thing but with dirty laundry. I’ve tried teaching her how to put it in the hamper but all she does is prance around and shove it in your middle to try and get you to play. Oh the quirks these dogs have

·
Registered
158 Posts
When Snowy is NOT distracted... he will come when called, sit, shake, lie, stand, touch (my outstretched hand), go into his crate, stay, and be free. He will even open his crate door if it's closed in order to go inside.

When Snowy IS distracted... he's a hot mess. LOL
I hate to be the party pooper:

"There are some cases where you must listen to me whether you want to or not. Regardless of distractions you must listen to me.You need to follow my instructions or there is a consequence; and training systems that don't include this piece will fail and are guaranteed to fail." - Haz Othman, CEO of Shileld K9

quote from video @1:50

·
Super Moderator
7,255 Posts
@Jen84 this thread is more about games and trick training. You are a champion at posting articles and quotes.What activities do you and your dogs enjoy for fun?Do you have a dog/dogs presently or maybe looking forward to a new puppy?
I don't train tricks myself, only sometimes add a cue to a game the pups come up with.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts

"

Huh?
Dogs do what is good for dogs, who here thinks that their dog has a need to please them all the time? That is absurd, especially with intelligent dogs like German Shepherds.

When we went to visit the litter at SIX 1/2 WEEKS, after a while the breeder called all the puppies to put them in their pen. Many of them listened and followed, Rolf ran halfway down the yard and then realized that he was going to be penned, so he stopped, sat, then sneaked away to go sniffing.

I chose him. I wanted The Thinker.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I guess I try to think of tricks and obedience as two complementary yet different things.

We practice obedience through rewards and repetition. Over time we increase distance, duration, and distraction. Occasionally I add corrections if compliance is mandatory. I don't have a working or sport dog. My obediency goals are pretty simple: (1) I don't want Ole to hurt anyone. (2) I want to be able to prevent Ole from getting hurt.

Tricks and play are just for fun. I usually let Ole discover some fun or interesting behavior and then I encourage it through positive reinforcement.

Sometimes I shape trick behavior with rewards.

I hate used kleenexes laying around the house. Ever since I was little they BUGGED me. However, my grandma, mom, and sister always seem to carry kleenexes and drop them everywhere. Gross.

Over the past couple of months, I have encouraged/trained ole to find and destroy any kleenex he finds. At first, it was simple stuff like getting praise for finding and shredding kleenexes he found on chairs and sofa. Now, He can reach into a pocket or purse and snatch a kleenex like a professional pickpocket. He is discriminating enough to only steal the used or lose kleenex. If they are still in the box or little plastic container they are off-limits.

Part of his morning routine is to go and hide in the bathroom when he hears my mom start to move around in her room. As soon as she opens the door and comes down the hallway, Ole snatches the kleenex from her robe pocket.

The downside is that I had to replace several garbage cans with ones with lids :)

For the sock thing, I keep a supply of toys, balls, and chews stashed in places I tend to spend a lot of time. Like my desk or workshop. As soon as Ole shows up with sock, I exchange it for a toy and a short game of catch. Socks are surprisingly expensive. Ole has figured out that socks are not toys... but they can be traded for something he wants.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
"I hate used kleenexes laying around the house. Ever since I was little they BUGGED me. However, my grandma, mom, and sister always seem to carry kleenexes and drop them everywhere. Gross.

Over the past couple of months, I have encouraged/trained ole to find and destroy any kleenex he finds. At first, it was simple stuff like getting praise for finding and shredding kleenexes he found on chairs and sofa. Now, He can reach into a pocket or purse and snatch a kleenex like a professional pickpocket. He is discriminating enough to only steal the used or lose kleenex. If they are still in the box or little plastic container they are off-limits."

ummmmmm .... gross

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
My dogs enjoy helping me with laundry. Putting laundry into a basket is a bit difficult for them so instead I accidently-on purpose drop laundry on the way to the washing machine. They pick up the dropped items and bring them to me for a reward. Usually a bit of Red Barn beef roll. There are no distractions so getting an after breakfast snack is great incentive, especially when their breakfast is just a tiny bit of kibble and a boiled egg. Most of the tricks they do they enjoy because it is part of our routine, it breaks up boredom and they get a small snack.

As far as shaping goes, my big-boy isn't a fan of that. If he can't figure out what I want he walks away as if to say "let me know when you know are ready to tell me what you want". My gal-dog might do better with shaping but honestly I am not that patient. I find that both myself and the dogs get frustrated. I lure or show or catch a behavior and praise it.

Out in the world where distractions are everywhere, obedience is done with both the carrot and the stick. Recall means come, no matter what. Downs mean down!. Those two are too important to leave optional.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I would start with teaching the dog to hold an object. I wouldn’t start with paper, maybe like rolled socks or something. Once you can get a good hold, I would move to the next step. I would give the command I want to use while the other person entices him over. I would have the other person reward as soon as he got there. It might be easier if the other person gives him the object to hold and then the command while you entice him over initially. After I got this with an easier object to hold, I would transfer it to the paper. I don’t have a good solution for soggy papers though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
@Jen84 this thread is more about games and trick training. You are a champion at posting articles and quotes.What activities do you and your dogs enjoy for fun?Do you have a dog/dogs presently or maybe looking forward to a new puppy?
I don't train tricks myself, only sometimes add a cue to a game the pups come up with.
I apologize to @Shefali if my post is out of line. However, please note that my reply was relevant to the comment she made.

Are you upset because I cite my sources of information? lol

I give credit, where credit is due. I try and learn from the best. No need for me to pretend to know more than I do.

Why citing is important

Here is another link for you to help you understand:

As to your other questions: I asked you a question about a month ago in a PM and you ignored me and now you expect me to answer your non relevant questions lol.

But just to humor you, here is my precious girl, "Jen", from many years ago with some American hunters:

This was my first dog, that was basically given to me, before I knew anything about dogs let alone German Shepherds. A beautiful white coated girl that had some really nice natural drives.

To teach her to track big game was easy. I just pointed at the tracks and said "find plus the animal". She found some animals, that were poorly hit, which were very difficult tracks.

This girl was never trained in any obedience nor was she ever corrected other than my poorly timed verbal scoldings.

Nothing wrong with not training your dog commands if you can make it work in your particular situation. Most dogs seem to be able to adapt to your life style without much training anyways.

But I'll tell you one thing, if I told her to "stay" and left her view, it wouldn't be too long before she would appear lol. There was no consequence for her not staying and thus no reliability.

@Shefali , your boy would have loved this girl ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,255 Posts
@Jen84 you misunderstood my post. I, and I'm sure others are interested in you and your dogs,stories and experiences you've had.Your girl Jen sounds like she was something special. My shepherd that preceeded Samson (Dakota) was white and my constant companion and best friend.
Absolutely nothing wrong with posting quotes and articles.You come up with one for literally every situation, which is great for those who want to learn another aspect about that particular subject.
FB_IMG_1481251775994_kindlephoto-2654856450.jpg

Reactions: Shefali

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hahaha, dogs are awesome. I remember I've spent some time training my dog. He wasn't listening! I tried the paper one too and I had the same result at first. The paper was all soggy and wet, ughh, horrible. Unfortunately, I couldn't train him all the tricks I wanted neither have the money to get him a proper dog trainer. What did I do in this case? Well, of course I've googled how to make your dog behave well and I think I spent hours and hours watching youtube tutorials about how to train your dogs and read lots of articles about it. You gotta have the patience, the time and the ambition :D It may seem hard, but it's definitely worth it. After 3 months of getting help from the internet, I trained my dog to do the paper thing or as I like to call it 'paper skill' hahaah

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

"There are some cases where you must listen to me whether you want to or not. Regardless of distractions you must listen to me.You need to follow my instructions or there is a consequence; and training systems that don't include this piece will fail and are guaranteed to fail." - Haz Othman, CEO of Shileld K9

quote from video @1:50
There are commands Snowy knows he MUST obey, like when I tell him to get into his crate. He gets it. And there are
some things Snowy understands he MUST NEVER do and if he does, he WILL be corrected. The reason I mentioned my socks - he knows if the actually destroys my socks, he will be disciplined. So he doesn't do that. He has, however, figured out exactly where that line is and he sometimes playfully flirts close to that line without actually crossing it. I thought from my post that this was pretty clear.

But most of our interactions allow him to make choices. Like when we play with his ball - he loves playing with his ball, but he sometimes opts out. And that's OK. I'm interested in my dog being my canine companion and friend, not an automaton that is programmed to always give a particular output from an input.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I try to think of tricks and obedience as two complementary yet different things.

We practice obedience through rewards and repetition. Over time we increase distance, duration, and distraction. Occasionally I add corrections if compliance is mandatory. I don't have a working or sport dog. My obediency goals are pretty simple: (1) I don't want Ole to hurt anyone. (2) I want to be able to prevent Ole from getting hurt.

Tricks and play are just for fun. I usually let Ole discover some fun or interesting behavior and then I encourage it through positive reinforcement.

Sometimes I shape trick behavior with rewards.

I hate used kleenexes laying around the house. Ever since I was little they BUGGED me. However, my grandma, mom, and sister always seem to carry kleenexes and drop them everywhere. Gross.

Over the past couple of months, I have encouraged/trained ole to find and destroy any kleenex he finds. At first, it was simple stuff like getting praise for finding and shredding kleenexes he found on chairs and sofa. Now, He can reach into a pocket or purse and snatch a kleenex like a professional pickpocket. He is discriminating enough to only steal the used or lose kleenex. If they are still in the box or little plastic container they are off-limits.

Part of his morning routine is to go and hide in the bathroom when he hears my mom start to move around in her room. As soon as she opens the door and comes down the hallway, Ole snatches the kleenex from her robe pocket.

The downside is that I had to replace several garbage cans with ones with lids :)

For the sock thing, I keep a supply of toys, balls, and chews stashed in places I tend to spend a lot of time. Like my desk or workshop. As soon as Ole shows up with sock, I exchange it for a toy and a short game of catch. Socks are surprisingly expensive. Ole has figured out that socks are not toys... but they can be traded for something he wants.
I LOVE these stories!!!! And Snowy must be somehow related to Ole, he LOVES shredding kleenex, and I've also trained him, just like you have, to only grab used ones and NOT the ones in the box. I think its HILARIOUS!!!! :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"I hate used kleenexes laying around the house. Ever since I was little they BUGGED me. However, my grandma, mom, and sister always seem to carry kleenexes and drop them everywhere. Gross.

Over the past couple of months, I have encouraged/trained ole to find and destroy any kleenex he finds. At first, it was simple stuff like getting praise for finding and shredding kleenexes he found on chairs and sofa. Now, He can reach into a pocket or purse and snatch a kleenex like a professional pickpocket. He is discriminating enough to only steal the used or lose kleenex. If they are still in the box or little plastic container they are off-limits."

ummmmmm .... gross
LOL, dogs will roll in stinky carcasses if we let them... and drink out of the toilet if we let them! OMG, I love dogs but... yeah.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I apologize to @Shefali if my post is out of line. However, please note that my reply was relevant to the comment she made.

Are you upset because I cite my sources of information? lol

I give credit, where credit is due. I try and learn from the best. No need for me to pretend to know more than I do.

Why citing is important

Here is another link for you to help you understand:

As to your other questions: I asked you a question about a month ago in a PM and you ignored me and now you expect me to answer your non relevant questions lol.

But just to humor you, here is my precious girl, "Jen", from many years ago with some American hunters:

This was my first dog, that was basically given to me, before I knew anything about dogs let alone German Shepherds. A beautiful white coated girl that had some really nice natural drives.

To teach her to track big game was easy. I just pointed at the tracks and said "find plus the animal". She found some animals, that were poorly hit, which were very difficult tracks.

This girl was never trained in any obedience nor was she ever corrected other than my poorly timed verbal scoldings.

Nothing wrong with not training your dog commands if you can make it work in your particular situation. Most dogs seem to be able to adapt to your life style without much training anyways.

But I'll tell you one thing, if I told her to "stay" and left her view, it wouldn't be too long before she would appear lol. There was no consequence for her not staying and thus no reliability.

@Shefali , your boy would have loved this girl ;)
I bet my boy would have loved your girl! :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Jen84 you misunderstood my post. I, and I'm sure others are interested in you and your dogs,stories and experiences you've had.Your girl Jen sounds like she was something special. My shepherd that preceeded Samson (Dakota) was white and my constant companion and best friend.
Absolutely nothing wrong with posting quotes and articles.You come up with one for literally every situation, which is great for those who want to learn another aspect about that particular subject. View attachment 569901
Beautiful!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,255 Posts
Shefali thank you, he was a fun dog. I could kick myself for never getting video of him playing frisbee.He was so fast and athletic.There were some neighbor kids close to my daughter's place that would show up with plastic bats and balls when I brought him along to visit. Dakota was the best outfielder ever, lol.He would trot back and forth and catch the balls, then fetch them back.
The three we have now have no interest in discs:sneaky:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts