German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I can't seem to find a link in another thread I was looking for that recommended a clicker training book.

I am looking for some new things to train my 10 month old with for mental stimulation. We already work with the clicker but lamely I need some new ideas. I still work on his basic obedience and am trying to layer in distraction, duration etc, but I would love to do some fun clicker shaping tricks or games to mix things up a bit as I am getting a bit stuck and running out of ideas and we both get bored.

He is busy learning Nosework so something more shaping his body etc would be nice I think.

Idea welcome.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've been interested in Target Stick training lately! Teaching your dog to follow/target the end of the stick with his nose...that then can lead into teaching them all kinds of other things like turning lights on and off, going through agility obstacles, tricks, etc. Using the clicker is a big part of the training, so if he already understands the Clicker, you have a head start. I think I'm going to start it on boring rainy days...

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This site has a lot of articles about clicker training:
https://www.clickertraining.com/library?source=kpctnavbar

You can also look into AKC Trick Dog stuff.

You could also work on cooperative care stuff. Deb Jones has a book about it:
https://www.amazon.com/Cooperative-Care-Seven-Stress-Free-Husbandry/dp/0578423138

Conditioning to a muzzle is another good skill to have on board.
Thanks for the links Bramble. Yes muzzle arrived yesterday so we are starting that.

I think the Trick Dog stuff will be fun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been interested in Target Stick training lately! Teaching your dog to follow/target the end of the stick with his nose...that then can lead into teaching them all kinds of other things like turning lights on and off, going through agility obstacles, tricks, etc. Using the clicker is a big part of the training, so if he already understands the Clicker, you have a head start. I think I'm going to start it on boring rainy days...
Hi GSDChoice,

That is a super interesting idea! He enjoys touching stuff with his nose so this might work really well. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts