1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I think I would have just left it as, "did you bother to check to see if the dog was okay or find its owner?"

I like the statement, "the dog bounced up and I felt it hit the floorboard so I don't think it's doing too well...lol." (Whatever the exact wording was.)

What a DB.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I would have just left it as, "did you bother to check to see if the dog was okay or find its owner?"

I like the statement, "the dog bounced up and I felt it hit the floorboard so I don't think it's doing too well...lol." (Whatever the exact wording was.)

What a DB.
yep, that was the quote (and the lol) that had me steaming as it indicated he didnt bother to check or even care and might even see humor in it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I couldnt believe what I read! And then he laughed about the fact that the dog probably wasnt doing too well... that is SAD and EVIL.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
IMHO, the OP is not the brightest bulb in the box. Not only did it not occur to him to check on the dog he hit or try to find the owner, he was going down a "country road" doing 60mph at 2 in the morning, according to his posts. Sounds like a pretty quick way of getting yourself killed. This time it was a dog. Maybe next time he will hit another car. Or wrap himself around a tree. Wonder if he'll be as nonchalant about that?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I think it is good you spoke up. I'm sure plenty of people agreed with you - even if they didn't post their comments. The "LOL!" got me too. There is nothing funny about hitting a dog. My daughter hit a deer, when she was 16. She was driving her bug on I-70 at 65 mph. The deer ran right onto the interstate. There was nothing she could do. She pulled onto the shoulder. She could not see the deer anywhere. She called me. I called the state police to report the accident and ask that they check on the deer - see that it got put down if necessary. My daughter was heartbroken over the deer. By the time she got home, she was physically ill.

This guy could have at least stopped. If the dog was still alive, he could have called the police. Sometimes all you can do is try. But - to do nothing is pretty low. To find it amusing is worse.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
or a deer. hitting a deer at 60MPH can really mess you up.
Sadly, though, his remarks are pretty typical. Very few people stop to check when they hit an animal. Even fewer try to find the owner, possibly fearing that they would be responsible for bills?

I know more than a handful of people who actually swerve and hit animals on purpose, and I'm not talking about teenage boys either! When I was in grade school, a friend actually had someone drive THROUGH their front yard and hit their dog.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
IMHO, the OP is not the brightest bulb in the box. Not only did it not occur to him to check on the dog he hit or try to find the owner, he was going down a "country road" doing 60mph at 2 in the morning, according to his posts. Sounds like a pretty quick way of getting yourself killed. This time it was a dog. Maybe next time he will hit another car. Or wrap himself around a tree. Wonder if he'll be as nonchalant about that?
You've pretty well summed it up - he has shown that he is just a bit irresponsible!!!

BTW Roxy, you were dead on with your remarks.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
He sounds like he's an excellent candidate for winning the DARWIN AWARD one day!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The best way to have handled that would not have been to go off sounding crazy... Name calling, excessive !!! marks, and such make people point the loony stick at you and call you a Peta nut or something. Calmly asking if he stopped to see if the dog was dead or severely injured would have been better. I mean, you said what you felt! But that doesn't always get you far.

He also did say it was 2am on a country road, he didn't mention if the dog ran off or whatnot, and as he said, he really couldn't have gone knocking, I know if some strange man showed up on my porch at 2am I'd either have a loaded gun or the cops with me.. I cannot kill a dangerous bug without feeling bad, but if I hit a dog and it ran off I would know it's rather futile to go after him, nor would I want to go into a dark area where people living chasing a hurt dog... I WOULD however call someone to check it out.

I am too fuming at this moron... But you have to understand many people do not give a flying fart about a stray dog. I know dog owners, people who have dogs who sleep in bed with them and ride around with their head sticking out of the car window, who would shoot a stray for coming on their property... I really can't wrap my mind around it because I am such a dog lover, all dogs, but it's not an uncommon mindset.

And being on a car forum, he might not have stated his true feelings.

I think it's sad that he has three dogs.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There was nothing he could do about it? Really? Probably focusing on his lights more than the road. This sort of behavior really upsets me. Maybe next time it'll be a huge deer that he hits and it'll go through his windshield.
Could've atleast checked on the dog.. I really don't know how you could leave ANYTHING, let along a DOG on the road.. dead.
I see dogs run loose here a lot. If the dog approaches me, without aggression I check to see if it's tagged or anything. One time, I was waiting for a bus at night and saw a dog that I KNEW belonged to the people down the street just BOLT onto the avenue, which can get pretty busy. I ran after the dog and returned it. If I hadn't, and it had gotten hit by a truck.. I'd feel too guilty.
And to the person who said that it was a car forum, not an animal activists forum or whatever needs a good smack in the head. I wonder about some people sometimes..

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
well, I'm one of those who will shoot a stray dog. not on first sight, though. I posted about it on another forum here. We've lost several livestock to roaming dogs. Chickens are especially attractive. The worst, though, was our daughters' pet goat. We came back home and my oldest (about 10 at the time) went to make sure his water bucket was filled and give him his dinner. I can still hear her screaming. The neighbor's dogs had disemboweled him, tore his head almost completely off. Blood everywhere. She had nightmares for weeks and weeks. Since then, I do have a shoot first attitude toward strays. Not if they are just wandering across the front lawn, but if they go anywhere near the livestock then that is that.
I do call the cops the first time I see them, tell them who I think the owner is (it's usually just a roaming dog, not a real stray) and the cops warn them about the dog roaming and harassing livestock. The second time, the dog won't be coming back.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I ran over a squirrel one day and heard the little bump, as I looked in my rearview mirror I saw the squirrel slowly walking to the side of the road, turns out I ran over his tail, I pulled over to see if I could help him by taking him somewhere, as I approached the bushes he came running at me like Cujo-Squirrel, I ran back to my car as fast as I could and left the scene!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
If he was doing 60...how would he even have time to stop?
Yah, he is a total DBAG for putting it how he put it.
But I mean, there was probaly nothing he could do about it....
Poor dog..
PS
I WOULD HAVE TOLD HIM his car looks f****** retarded!!!!!!!
moron.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If he was doing 60...how would he even have time to stop?
Yah, he is a total DBAG for putting it how he put it.
But I mean, there was probaly nothing he could do about it....
Poor dog..
PS
I WOULD HAVE TOLD HIM his car looks f****** retarded!!!!!!!
moron.
all of my "friendly" posts were removed.

there was no blame on him for hitting the dog. it was that he really didnt care and didnt even stop to see if the dog was dead, alive, or needed help. personally, i find it unconscienable that anyone would do that (unless they were on 4 lanes of fast moving traffic, but he was on a county road).

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I ran over a squirrel one day and heard the little bump, as I looked in my rearview mirror I saw the squirrel slowly walking to the side of the road, turns out I ran over his tail, I pulled over to see if I could help him by taking him somewhere, as I approached the bushes he came running at me like Cujo-Squirrel, I ran back to my car as fast as I could and left the scene!
LOL sorry, that's funny... I've had a squirrel go for me once, scary as crap!

Dain, just asking, but what kind of border do you have protecting your animals if dogs are getting through? Do you have protection animals?

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
are chickens now are in a 7foot tall chain link. we've under fenced it, but can't stop dogs from digging under. They also jump on the chain link and try to bite the chickens through it. We don't have any other animals now. Unless you count the bunnies which are in hutch inside our fenced back yard. We have had stray dogs go after them as well, jumping the fence and trying to get into the hutch. Yet another area where there is no leash law, only the law that animals menacing livestock can be shot by the landowner. There is now an actual animal control here, but they don't pick up for things like that.

The goat was in a chain link kennel as well. That was when we lived in WV When we were home, he was on a cable run. Don't know how the dogs got in there, the rottie was still there when we got home. That dog also had a history of growling at people who were walking on the road. The cops told us to shoot him if we saw him even standing beside the mailbox as he was a menace. There was no leash law, just a law that dogs menacing livestock be shot on sight.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Ah, I thought you meant YOU had livestock... Because I don't know a mutt stray who'll stand up to a mad Llama!!

I suppose I don't truly mind if the dog is a true menace and you are a good shot... People who are a real good shot have the dog dead before he even feels pain... I know of people who choose to euth their dogs, or did, this way. Said the dog didn't even make a peep...

Irresponsible owners and pet overpopulation don't leave good people with many other options... If you catch it and it goes to the pound it will die as well.

I personally could not kill a dog unless it was in the act of attacking... I'm too much of a softie.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts