German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going back and forth for years over full spay, ovary-sparing spay, uterus sparing spay, remaining intact, it was decided by the pea-sized tumor in her mammary glands. Discovered by the vet during a routine exam when I brought her in for a sore foot. Tuesday is her full-spay surgery. I am glad that the doubts about all options are finally over. She is 6 years old and in good health overall. The little tumor is the reason they take her in right now, otherwise it would have been elective and they hold off on these due to the Corona issue. Her prognosis is good as it is a very small loosely attached tumor. But still fingers crossed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,919 Posts
I thought the benefit of mammary health from spaying was derived when done prior to the age of two, the younger the better?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,743 Posts
perhaps but even now, if the tumor was reactive to estrogen I think it would be the smart move to do a full spay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the benefit of mammary health from spaying was derived when done prior to the age of two, the younger the better?
They are most protected from mammary gland tumors when spayed before their first heat. It seems that spaying after the first heat will no longer result in any benefits, no matter who many heats they had before being (fully ) spayed. This is according to several vets that I trust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Do you know if they will remove the small tumor as well and have it tested? I'd be so paranoid about it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the tumor will be removed at the same time. Since the spay is not considered 'elective' at this time, they got her in. For normal spays they will schedule after the corona crisis is over.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top