German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My beautiful Xena just had puppies a couple weeks ago, against all our efforts to keep her from doing so...last time she was in heat she BOOKED it out of our door when someone stopped by.

She, of course, got pregnant in literally the hour it took us to track her down. She apparently had someone in mind.

We have several Male(loose-we live in the country) German Shepherds in the area but I didn't think we'd get that lucky because there's many other types as well.

Well...every one of them sure look it, but I'm no expert. Is it too early to tell? I thought one would be a sure giveaway to the dad but all of them have the markings. Half black with brown markings, other like mama. Either way, I'd love to know. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Just so you are aware a litter can have more then one sire.
I hope momma and babies are all doing well, but at this age or really any age guessing about sires is just guessing. DNA testing will be your only option if you need to know but I cannot see it making much difference and you would need to test every pup. At this point they are just cute, pudgy little shepherd crosses.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
It really doesn't matter if they are purebred. There are no papers with an unknown sire wihch makes them mixed. So you have to advertise them as such. Hope you are careful in placing them, with spay/neuter contracts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are already placed with family and friends, we were lucky in that, and everyone knows they are mixed. Its more curiosity as well as I'm wanting a boy shepherd, so I may keep one if they are.

I didn't know they could have two fathers, so thank you for sharing !

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
If you keep a male, you should make sure you neuter him. If mom is THAT determined to have pups, the last thing you want is for her to be mating with her son!!

I think the pups are mixed. They all have wrinkles on their muzzles, which is not something you see in purebred shepherds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you keep a male, you should make sure you neuter him. If mom is THAT determined to have pups, the last thing you want is for her to be mating with her son!!

I think the pups are mixed. They all have wrinkles on their muzzles, which is not something you see in purebred shepherds.
And get the mother spayed also. She should have been spayed as soon as she got out while in heat. I hope all these "great" homes the OP has lined up don't end up changing their minds, or returning after a few weeks of puppy poop/pee and keeping them up all night.

I agree they look like mixes!

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
They are already placed with family and friends, we were lucky in that, and everyone knows they are mixed. Its more curiosity as well as I'm wanting a boy shepherd, so I may keep one if they are.

I didn't know they could have two fathers, so thank you for sharing !
In theory, tho unlikely, EVERY pup could have a different dad.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Fodder, she was only loose for an hour, so I'm guessing there's only one dad. The shape of the heads and muzzles look pretty uniform.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
The coloring is all over the place, some silver, some tan, some Black and Tan, but the one thing they all have is a super short and wrinkled muzzle, and white toe nails. I would forgo wasting any money on a DNA test, they are clearly mixed. Adorable, but mixed.

How old is the momma? She looks very young in the picture you provided. She also looks pretty thin. If she got pregnant her first heat cycle, that’s sad. I would have her spayed as soon as possible.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
What do the free-roaming males in your area look like? BTW: is this picture from your female a recent one? How old are the pups now and how old is he? She looks young. Her coat doesn't look that great in the picture. Make sure she gets a really good diet. What do you feed her? The pups look nice. How many?

·
Registered
32,210 Posts
They look mixed to me, but at this age, no way to tell as others have said. I see no reason to spay the bitch, the owner should just be more careful. If your intentions were to breed your bitch, she can still have puppies down the line that are purebred. If that was your intention, keeping a pup out of this litter would not be a good idea.

·
Registered
381 Posts
From the OPs posts, it looks like Xena is roughly 18 month old, so probably got pregnant on her second heat cycle.

Some of those pups look pure but are likely mixes, maybe there were two fathers or if Dad was mixed with shepherd, likely some pups will look almost purebred. They are very young, many tiny pups have nose wrinkles at that age, you won't know what they will look like for quite a while- consider them mixes absolutely.

I've bred dogs (intentionally) and the tie alone always took at least 15- 20 minutes, sometimes 30- 45 (longest was 45 min) so she was probably gone for more than half an hour. The flirtation takes quite a while, too, generally. So it's not so super quick, at least not in my experience.

Live and learn, once the pups are weaned and Mom is back in good shape, get her spayed (about 3-4 months post heat cycle is optimal).

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
If she has been gone to be bred for only one hour it is unlikely that there are two fathers involved. They barely had enough time to get tied in that case. Plus you would have heard the fight probably. Let's say she mated with two dogs. Then the first one's sperm most likely fertilized all available eggs before the other soldiers arrived. So I think, based on the short time she was gone, it is most likely one sire. Also who sires the most illegal litters in this country? The breed that is not mentionable here; not the Rhodesian Ridge Back or Boxer mixes ;)
Keep us posted on their development.

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Look to the dogs that are most common in the area. And what most of the pups people get around you look like.

When I first looked at the pictures my immediate thought was mastiff or Dane, but if there are none around then that is unlikely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

And get the mother spayed also. She should have been spayed as soon as she got out while in heat. I hope all these "great" homes the OP has lined up don't end up changing their minds, or returning after a few weeks of puppy poop/pee and keeping them up all night.

I agree they look like mixes!

BigBlackDog

The "great" homes are actually great. All have raised big dogs
.. and knowing how much time/care GS need- I wouldn't place them unless I knew they would get that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What do the free-roaming males in your area look like? BTW: is this picture from your female a recent one? How old are the pups now and how old is he? She looks young. Her coat doesn't look that great in the picture. Make sure she gets a really good diet. What do you feed her? The pups look nice. How many?

My female is almost 2 years, definitely did not want her breeding this young. She is on an all raw diet (muscle meat/bones/offal/egg/liver/coconut oil) daily. This is the worst she's looked, but I've been told by a breeder that this can be normal. She was checked out by a vet after the birth as well.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Yup, they often don't look their best when nursing puppies! I remember a friend having to sneak mom out to have a pee after her pups had gone to their new homes. I KNOW the family had taken the best care possible of Mom, but she had lost almost all her coat, and looked just wretched!

They didn't want the new owners seeing her in that condition, and I don't blame them!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you guys so much for your input. They are mixed no matter, but like I said- more curious than anything. We tried being careful, but she slipped past anyways. I had a Male ready for a later time but this is it for her. I didn't want her mating young ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts