German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is gunner . He is currently 6 weeks old . We got to meet him 4 days ago and get to pick up in a week and a half. He does not come with a pedigree . His mom is registered and so is the dad but from what we are told it was an accidental litter we met the mom dad wasn’t on site but we are told he is a black long haired German Shepard (sable). We only payed $150 for it since it did not come with papers .1) Do you guys think he is full blooded?2) If so do you think he will be long haired or short haired?3) Also what do you think his coat color will be the older he gets?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Great lookin puppy, congrats!

And wow, what a steal at 150$! Papers are just that, papers. I hope he has a good temperament for you!

Looks GSD to me.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I would say if you paid $150.00 for that little one and you hope it's a GSD then you got a steal.

If you want a 100% GSD then get ready to pay $$$$

Cute little puppy and it very much may be all GSD

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
What an adorable puppy! He looks all GSD to me. He looks like a black and tan saddle or blanket back, and he looks fluffy so I guess he might have long hair. Congratulations. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I would say if you paid $150.00 for that little one and you hope it's a GSD then you got a steal.

If you want a 100% GSD then get ready to pay $$$$

Cute little puppy and it very much may be all GSD
Ya. I think it could be all GSD too. I paid only 400$ with papers for mine and she's full GSD. Breeders were great as well. We got lucky with ours, she's so smart.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Gunner & WELCOME!

I don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer" here and rain on your new pup excitement, but, even though this was an accidental breeding, were the Sire and Dam OFA or PennHIP certified? If this is a responsible breeder, these tests would be done on the dogs.

$150 is a steal BUT hip dysplasia surgery is extremely costly (and emotional) to the owner and very painful for the dog!

I've been talking with a member here who just gave his year old dog back to the breeder because of this. Dog couldn't walk without pain medication.

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
He looks purebred --- (all dogs are full-blooded unless they are in need of a transfusion because they bled out). Looks like he'll be a cutie. (OK he IS a cutie, looks like he'll be a coatie)

As for the pesimistic thoughts consider this --- I've had mutts with no structural issues, I've had BP from reputable breeders with tested parents who developed issues. So while I'm hoping that the parents were healthy and tested, I'm also hoping that your pup grows up to be strong, bidable, healthy and just what you want.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got Boon for FREE from neighbors. Felt sure he was all GSD but had an Embark test done to check mainly for any genetic conditions I might want to be aware of.
Yes, turned out Boon is 100% GSD and clear of all genetic issues prevalent among GSD, clear of DM too. The money I saved on a breeder's puppy went into more books on training, some toys, a better crate, etc. and an Embark test.

For about $200, Embark will tell you if Gunner is 100% GSD and if he has any genetic conditions. He's probably going to lighten a little bit as he matures. Cheek patches get bigger, more tan will show. Read this forum often regarding diet, development and training and you will avoid a lot of issues right away.

Congrats on saving some money and ENJOY YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND!

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
I wonder how it was an "accidental breeding", yet the sire is not present. I would expect that accidental breedings happen at home where both dogs live; a door left open, one dog opened kennel etc.
I agree with middleofnowhere; great breeders and great pedigrees are not a guarantee for a healthy pup / adult dog but your chances are better than getting a pup from unknown backgrounds. Your puppy looks really good and $150 really is a steal. Tip: get insurance on him just in case you are looking at steep health costs in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts