German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a bad day here at CJ's house. I started to wonder if I had made a bad choice on getting a puppy. I have multiple sclerosis and was having some balance problems which started things off. I had cleaned up several oops, CJ was under foot, David (our 2 year old human son) was being 2 and Stella (our 6 year old furry daughter) just wanted to eat in peace. At one point I was standing in the yard and saying CJ come, David come, CJ come, David come, would someone please come here when I call them which was when I thought maybe I had made a mistake. Then I started to feel bad that I was having second thoughts. Has anyone else had second thoughts?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Second and third and fourth and .....about every decision in life

Jokes aside, a new member in the family is *always* a stressor, because we have to move away from our comfort zone and/or habits to make changes to accommodate them.

Perhaps with the puppy you might want to keep him on a long lead when in the yard and use it as a training opportunity to teach him "come" with treats for when he does. Might work with a 2 year old kid too

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I know when we first got Rocky and were housebreaking/training him, it took a while for him to fully understand what we were asking of him. I am sure there were times when we were cleaning up another accident and wondered if we had made a mistake.

Of course it is kind of like the "what was I thinking" after you have been in labor for 12 hours and not sure if it will ever end. However, once you hold your child all of that is forgotten.

Puppies are kind of like babies, they will eventually understand what you expect of them and what they are supposed to do, but it takes training.

I can tell you now, 2-1/2 years later, he is trained and a joy to all of us. No matter what kind of day I am having he can make me smile, without doing much except one of the little head cocks that GSD always do.

I don't know your actual situations, but maybe it was just a really bad day, and today will be better.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
How old is the pup? Everyone has those "what was i thinking" days when raising a young puppy. It can be overwhelming at times, especially seeing as how you have a toddler running around as well, god bless you for that! Sometimes you just have to step back, take deep breath, and then handle the situation. That way you remain calm and the pup and David wont sense the tension in your voice.

When they are outside, try calling "here" because come obviously isnt taking meaning. Cj hears the word, but chooses to ignore it. Call "here" or "ok lets go" and use a high pitch happy voice. As you say it, start joggin off in a direction away from them. I'd bet they start to run after you thinking its a game. Then when CJ gets close enough, big praise and a treat!

You could do this a couple of times a day when your out in the yard. Call CJ to you in a happy voice, and when he gets close enough praise and treat, then let him go back to playing. CJ sees that he is outside having lots of fun, then you call him in,and thats NO FUN. Smart dogs will think for themselves and obviously he'd pick having lots of fun, vs no fun at all. You have to find a way to make him coming to you lots and lots of fun. Thats where the short chase comes in.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Well I can tell you that training puppies is hard. But you can make things easier for yourself and help CJ learn by doing a some of the following:

Crate the pup when you need to spend time with the kids or at meal time, nap times, or just a plain old time out.

Put a light long line on the CJ when the pup is out in the yard to potty or play. Start teaching CJ to go potty on command.

Have a light leash on the pup in the house, so if the pup is getting into trouble you can catch the pup.

Some people tether the pup to themselves, so they can control and teach the pup.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Originally Posted By: CJ's MomYesterday was a bad day here at CJ's house. I started to wonder if I had made a bad choice on getting a puppy. I have multiple sclerosis and was having some balance problems which started things off. I had cleaned up several oops, CJ was under foot, David (our 2 year old human son) was being 2 and Stella (our 6 year old furry daughter) just wanted to eat in peace. At one point I was standing in the yard and saying CJ come, David come, CJ come, David come, would someone please come here when I call them which was when I thought maybe I had made a mistake. Then I started to feel bad that I was having second thoughts. Has anyone else had second thoughts?
Every morning at 2:00

Seriously, we have had our pup since Tuesday...and yeah, its tough...your whole daily routine is thrown off, its constant "Where's the puppy" and "How long since the puppy has been out" and the yapping and howling when he wants out of his crate...I was playing with him this morning and thought "not much payoff here"..but then I watched him follow his big brother out to do his business..and when they were both finished walk right back to the door to be let in...so its a little payoff...

I'm rambling...but it comes down to this...its tough..really tough at first and I can only imagine with a toddler on top of it, along with your health issues...but hang in there sweetie, it really is worth it.

·
2,967 Posts
Yes! Although my second thoughts usually occur when the puppy teeth are latched into my ankles and I want to sleep in but the puppy is crying to go out. But I find that I can set myself up for more peaceful days if I try.

I would try first of all getting a big crate or an exercise pen. Use it kind of like you would use a playpen for a baby. Someplace safe for them to be out of the way when you can't be hands on.

Out in the yard I would attach one of those thin 20-ft training leads you can get at Walmart. Then if puppy wants to play keep away you can just reel him in. This will also teach him through habit that come is not an option.

We have family with MS and it can definitely be hard, but I really do think things with the puppy will get better. Hang in there!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Absolutely! I can relate. Do not beat yourself up over this! Really, the overwhelmed feeling is something we all go through with a young pup or teenaged dog. The answer is taking some deep breaths.. and working on training, working on building the relationship you want with the dog, step by step. Now THAT seems overwhelming too, doesn't it? Thing is, that is GOOD news-- that you can have an effect on how calm, obedient, and focused your dog will be with time and work. Sounds intimidating because you are the one who will be doing all the work (hopefully under guidance from a good class and trainer).. but the wonderful thing is, that you DO have control.. the situation is not at all hopeless.
You are simply at the point we all get to, sometimes a few times, that says.. Calgon take me awaaayy! LOL! Then we start peeking in the yellow pages for that class... and hope dawns bright for us & our dogs, and our lives become soon easier in living with them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. At least I know I am not loosing my mind. Today has already been better and just about 3 minutes ago I was again cleaning up an oops when David came downstairs and asked what I was doing. When I told him I was cleaning up an oops he said "hi oops sorry it took me so long to wake up this morning." Then he asked what an oops was and after explaining it was pee he said "oh...mommy you should clean up in the bathroom then because daddy made an oops on the floor when he peed last night." He was so serious and all I could do was laugh. Thank God this site is here and new puppy owners like myself have a place to ask for help or encouragement without the fear of being screamed at (actually typed at).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know my husband is checking on what I am posting so Michael could you call me and let me know if CJ ate all of his food this morning and just to let you know I cleaned up the oops in the bathroom LOL.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Hang in there, at least the puppy will grow out of his "oops" stage, the jury is still out on whether the hubby's ever will. Take each day one hour or if needed one minute at a time and the advise about crate training is sooo very valuable. Take a little time out for yourself and plan nap time for puppy and little one at the same time so you can sit down and re-group.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Thats a good idea Sharon! When David goes down for a nap, walk CJ and then put him in a crate or pen for some nap time. Then you can sit and relax.

I would think about David's response everytime CJ has an "oops" in the house. That way its more of a funny thing to you than "dangit, this dog is driving me bananas!" LOL

For the hubby: Hi Michael! No more oops in the potty! Aim, then shoot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts