German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I swear lately, I only come on here to get help and complain to you all! Greatly appreciated in advance.

So, my 1.5 year old has apparently developed allergies. She has had itchy eyes, biting her feet, stomach issues, and horrible recurring ear infections.

We’ve finally got the ear issue under control. Lots of medication! And she recently got an allergy shot. She does seem to be doing better but she’s still itchy frankly.

We’ve seen two vets for this and neither did a test on her ears to figure out what it actually was. They said allergies. Ok cool,I’ll go with that. But with the coronavirus, neither vet (got a second opinion) left me very happy.

The first vet gave her a one week solution and said no more chicken in her food. The second vet when the ear infection came back said to switch to a complete allergen free food and give her an allergy shot. But he gave us no real info on what the plan is next. Just to come back in two months for another shot.

I might sound like a wack job but I don’t want to feed my dog allergen free kibble. We get fresh food from the Just Food for Dogs stores and we’ve been very happy with it. Everybody who sees her says they’ve never seen a German Shepherd coat like hers.

so, my question is, what’s the deal with this type of allergy situation? Will we eventually introduce some types of food back in? Could it be environmental? We did move right shortly before the allergies started to a hilly area.
HAVE THE EARS CHECKED FOR INFECTIONS NOT ALLERGIES-thats just a generic answer-they cant really know without doing skin tests/ear test/blood test etc=overkill on the specialty(grain-free etc) foods that causes just as much problems(now I hear heart problems too) and allergen free food rarely works without knowing the real cause-been there done that(vets said feed this and that for a few years) and went back to plain old food and all skin problems cleared up. Remember the good old days when we fed Gravy Train and we didnt have all these allergy problems-maybe it the new foods/or vaccines themselves causing the problems. My dog's ear infection isnt food or allergies-its from just being outside in the dirt/grass=its his side he likes to lay on plus digging dont help much either-but he is a dog. But what was weird is the skin on his stomach got blackish-grey and very dry so I rubbed a all natural Goat milk WHIPPED BODY CREAM(beekmans that I use on my skin) once and SHOCKED-it cleared it up, back to nice pinkish-white skin color and baby puppy feel-go figure it actually worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I swear lately, I only come on here to get help and complain to you all! Greatly appreciated in advance.

So, my 1.5 year old has apparently developed allergies. She has had itchy eyes, biting her feet, stomach issues, and horrible recurring ear infections.

We’ve finally got the ear issue under control. Lots of medication! And she recently got an allergy shot. She does seem to be doing better but she’s still itchy frankly.

We’ve seen two vets for this and neither did a test on her ears to figure out what it actually was. They said allergies. Ok cool,I’ll go with that. But with the coronavirus, neither vet (got a second opinion) left me very happy.

The first vet gave her a one week solution and said no more chicken in her food. The second vet when the ear infection came back said to switch to a complete allergen free food and give her an allergy shot. But he gave us no real info on what the plan is next. Just to come back in two months for another shot.

I might sound like a wack job but I don’t want to feed my dog allergen free kibble. We get fresh food from the Just Food for Dogs stores and we’ve been very happy with it. Everybody who sees her says they’ve never seen a German Shepherd coat like hers.

so, my question is, what’s the deal with this type of allergy situation? Will we eventually introduce some types of food back in? Could it be environmental? We did move right shortly before the allergies started to a hilly area.
Hmm considering that you’ve just moved to a hilly area, I think it’s fair to assume that your dog might be allergic to something related to that, maybe dust mites, pollens, or anything else. Did your vet tell you what your dog was allergic to? Like my GSD is allergic to pollens and its skin gets all itchy and develops a lot of rashes. You might wanna check for that once.
If it’s not possible for you to visit a vet right now - due to the lockdown, I’ll suggest you either consult a vet on call (if you already have a vet), if not you should register for an online consultation. These are some portals that can help you here: greatvet.com, vetstreet.com. I have used the services of greatvet.com in the past - due to my dog’s pollen allergies, you can find a vet near you and can also consult them via video call or email them the pictures of rashes. I hope this helps and your dog gets better asap.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts