German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it took me a couple weeks, but I finally found a grain free kibble that met the protein, calcium, and phosphorus levels that I needed for my pup because of his weak pasterns and hocks. I transitioned my whole pack to it for convenience purposes. They are all now on the Natural Balance LID. Achilles has shown great improvement in that his growth is slowing and allowing the rest of him to catch up and his pasterns are getting stronger everyday.

However! Now I'm having other issues! The dogs are pooping SOOO much! I can't tell you how much poop I scooped yesterday from just a week's time! Then last night, before bed, I picked up a couple more from that evening. This morning I first let the dogs out around 6am. Between then and 10:30, they went out several more times, just because my morning routine is to have coffee on the back patio while I browse the internet. I picked up at least 8 piles of poop in that time!! Six of them being from the 2 big dogs!! And I didn't even feed them until about 9:30am! They're solid, but the smell is RANCID!! I have a pretty tough stomach and have owned dogs all my life, so am used to getting up poop, but this stuff literally turns my stomach, and when I'm done, I feel like the smell is still lingering on me even though I haven't physically touched it! I never had this problem on Wellness, TOTW, or Orijen with my dogs.

The other thing is that their breath is now getting bad as well! And this morning I noticed that Achilles' ears are starting to get goop in them! I feel like I don't know what to do at this point! I am afraid to go back to raw, though I would like to, because of evidence of high protein contributing to weak pasterns. I haven't been able to find ANY other food that is grain free with low calcium AND under 23% protein. But now do I have to deal with all this other stuff too?!

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated as I am just so frustrated right now!:help:

P.S. The big dogs are only getting 2 cups a day (morning and evening), and the lilttel dogs get less than a handful at each meal.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I use the same food and give 3 cups a day, he is 16 weeks old. No bad breath and smelly poop, lol not sure where to go with that one.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized! I've also been giving them the Natural Balance rolls as training treats and shave a bit over their food to entice them to eat the kibble. They absolutely love it, but I didn't even look at the ingredients. I just figured it must be good since they're the same brand. I threw the wrapper away, but just looked at the ingredients online. It contains A LOT of ingredients I would not give them if it was listed not their regular food. This could be causing the problem. I'm going to stop giving it to them for a few days and see if that changes things any...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
check the ears for a yeast infection a bad smell is a sign of that. Clean them out and get them checked. They can do a goop test to see what it is.

I never used the rolls. The rep gave me free biscuits last week at pet supermarket. BTW the LTD's the bison has the least calcium

here is the email for them, she has been amazing answers all my dumb questions, lol. Another reason I use the food besides the testing

Heather Acuff, B.S.
Animal Nutrition
Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
[email protected]
(800) 829-4493

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used the rolls for treats for many years...never a problem.
I've actually recommended them to others...
Kaiya is allergic to grains for sure, but I've never fed any to Achilles, so I'm not sure. The rolls have grains in them in addition to some other things, so it could be what's causing the ear gook?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts