German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 14-month old German shepherd dog which recently started to poop in the house during the night. We don't know why it does it all the sudden and how to stop it. Any advise is welcome!

1. We've been feeding him a mixer of regular dog food (for large breed), boiled egg, cooked chicken meat and juice. The reason is that the dog refused to eat the dog food and lost weight in the past;

2. We don't remember when was the last time for the dog to have solid waste;

3. For the last three occasions it pooped at almost the same spot on the basement carpet. It turned out that we had missed one spot on the carpet during cleaning in the past, which might attract the dog to go back and poop again;

4. Some suggested that this dog might have worms or digestive problems. We wonder what exactly these problem could be.

We welcome all insight or hints. Please help, thanks!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would first rule out any worms or digestive issues by taking him to the vet and I would take a small ( a teaspon is enough) stool sample. Since this is only happening at night, I would crate him but have the crate in the bedroom so I would know if he has to go during the night. Also before bedtime, I would take him out for 15 minutes and walk him so he has enough time to go. For his meal times, I would feed him 3x a day - if you can't manage that - 2x a day - but I would time the evening meal so that he eats 2-3 hours before the last nightime walk -so that he has time to digest his food and eliminate at that walk.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think a vet visit to rule out any medical conditions would be helpful towards pinpointing what the issue may be.

Then I agree with Mary Beth and make sure he's being fed dinner early enough it has time to work through his system.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
When you take him to the vet which you must do, gather up some fresh poop to go with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts