German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone freeze bones they got for their dog? Like marrow bones, etc. If you do, do you give them later frozen, or do you defrost in anyway first?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm really glad you asked this question. I've been wondering about this too.

My husband gives the marrow bones to him frozen because it lasts longer. I assume there's no problem with that but would like to know what others think.

Also, I know we cannot feed cooked chicken/turkey bones...but what about frozen?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Also, I know we cannot feed cooked chicken/turkey bones...but what about frozen?
As long as the bones are raw, it's the cooking process that makes them brittle and splinter.

I feed my dogs raw frozen chicken and turkey. My GSD does not like raw chicken unless it's frozen. He doesn't care for the texture. My Golden will eat it frozen or thawed.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I give marrow bones raw and frozen and yep, they thaw while the dogs are eating them.
We have a problem with Harley, he figured out if he keeps dropping the bone on the floor the marrow will eventually fall out..the floor has a million dents in it. Annies a good girl, she patiently licks it out.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
i was just wondering about this...i give them frozen and was wondering if that's okay. sounds like it is. cool.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I give marrow bones frozen from the freezer or fresh from the butcher. If its the day I am buying them, it is fresh. If not, they go into the freezer. When she is ready for one I just give it to her frozen. She also eats a raw diet and that is sometimes still frozen when she eats it. She gets a chicken back every night, that may or may not be frozen. I think if its frozen, it makes them work harder for it and work those back teeth.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I give them frozen. Takes them a bit longer to chew!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i use center cut beef marrow bones. sometimes i bake them
somtimes i feed them raw. i'll give my dog frozen ones also.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
i use center cut beef marrow bones. sometimes i bake them
somtimes i feed them raw. i'll give my dog frozen ones also.
Is there a 'break-in' period? Gave my god one and she got the trots. All that marrow was too rich for her. Will try to dig most of it out the next time and let her get used to it gradually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would suggest frozen knuckle bones as an alternative to marrow bones. The knuckle bones they can actually grind down and consume whereas the shanks with the marrow are harder and usually they will just lick out the marrow as it thaws and it can be on the rich side if too much is consumed at one time. For a dog who likes to chew, a large frozen knuckle bone thrown in the yard has been known to entertain for hours.

·
Registered
899 Posts
How big are the knuckle bones in comparison to the marrow bones?

I give Joey the marrow bones, but am always in the market for something different.

When you go to the butcher, do you specifically ask for knuckle bones?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
When we go to the butcher, we get the whole femur and they cut the ends off, cut those in half, and then we get a few 4 - 6" marrows from the middle. Each femur is about $4 and gives us about 7 pieces.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts