German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know on this forum that I lost my beloved Enya to Anaplasmosis a couple of months ago. Since our loss, our breeder blessed us with a new puppy. We named her Grace and now Grace and Enya's brother Dakota are becoming best of friends. . . but here is my question. Both dogs are inside dogs, but we live in a rural area in Connecticut. I have had my dogs on Frontline Plus, but I still find ticks on them. Grace, the puppy had two ticks on her this week . . . we pulled them off within hours of thier attachment, but I am so **** afraid of any TBD getting my dogs. I would never want to lose another dog to one of these **** pests. Does Frontline work? Is there a better product? The dogs must be picking up the ticks from the yard since they do not go into the woods (invisible fence). We check them everytime they come in . . . I am just so worried about them . . . any advice would be appreciated on this product or alternative products. Thanks, Scott

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Scott, good to see you post:) Been wondering how Grace is getting on, and we INSIST On pictures!!

I seem to see more ticks around this time, it's not to hot, not to cold, guess the ticks like this weather:( My aussies pick them up right in the yard as well.

I use nothing on the aussies because they are mdr1 dogs, (a gene defect, so I can't use certain drugs, i'm paranoid to put anything topical on them)..I just do nightly tick checks..

Masi, I honestly have picked maybe one or two ticks off her, and choose to not use anything on her either..IF I'm going hiking I may spray her down with skin so soft (avon stuff) ..

My sister uses Advantage on her dogs and likes the product.

I'm not sure if it was Frontline, I was reading about, that people were having probs with, as in not being effective?? Don't quote me on that.

Ticks are a pain for sure, and no matter what we use, I think they will unfortunately find a way to worm their way into our lives:(

Stay in touch!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jakoda:

Here is a picture of Grace I took last night as she attempted to get through the cat door . . . she is adorable! Thanks for the tick advice, I am just so **** afraid after losing Enya to Anaplasmosis.

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What a great picture! She's so funny. There are a lot of ticks in my area of TX so I use Vectra and haven't seen a single tick. When I used Frontline I had to also use a tick collar during some months but haven't had to with the Vectra. Looks like Grace is bringing lots of laughs into your home

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Lisa T and Stosh: Good to hear from of you and I hope that you are doing well. I also wish both of you a Happy Thanksgiving. I thought about trying the Advantix, but I read a report that it wears off quickly. I was also reading that the way Frontline works is that it kills the tick within 24-48 hours after attachment? With TBD transfer the article also said that it breaks the "disease cylce" by killing the tick . . . can this be true or just a bunch of hoopla?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Hiya Scott,
That is a great shot of Grace! I use Advantix as it apparently kills and repels ticks, fleas, some flies, lice and a biggy here mosquitoes. In tick season I use it every 2 weeks for paralysis ticks (last week at the Pet ER there were 18 cases of paralysis ticks here alone :( )

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bianca . . . it looks like I will be switching to Advantix . . . I have 16 viles of Frontline Plus remaining . . . apparently they are going on EBay.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
scott,,pictures is tooooooo funny, she sure looks like she is an entertaining girl LOL

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Great picture of Grace!

Just an FYI with the Frontline Plus. You have to put it on every 28 days, not once a month like indicated on all the advertisments. That was a heads up from my vet. I have been given different info regarding how long it actually takes the Fontline plus to kill the ticks. I've heard anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. Like Lisa has said it does not repel them. I have also been told by a vet tech at my vet's office that they are finding a problem with the Frontline and it's ability to kill ticks in a timely manner. A possibility of the ticks somehow becoming somewhat immune to it.

The only reason I steer clear of Advantix is that I've have encountered two different instances where two dogs had neurological issues after having had Advantix applied. And again, you up the toxic level for Advantix's ability to repel the ticks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts