German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samson is due for frontline and he weighs a couple pounds under 40. Is it ok to get him the 45lb and above frontline? Seems like it would be a waste to buy him the one below it if he is going to outgrow it soon.

·
2,967 Posts
I would do it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
it seems that complaints of frontline being completely ineffective against fleas are becoming quite common. i know my vet says she has been inundated this summer with customers whose dogs are getting no relief from frontline. she does believe fleas have become resistant to this particular topical.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sadly with the widespread and frequent use of spot-ons, pesticide resistance in fleas is bound to happen with all of them. I can't help but feel it is a bit irresponsible to promote monthly use of the same pesticide, year round as it is well documented that such practices cause resistance. Ideally these products should not be used monthly but at the very least, should be used in rotation so it is not the same pesticide each application.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I live in NY, and even here Frontline doesn't work for Alexa. Monday I'm going to the vets to get a current weight on her, and I'm gonna ask about other options. Besides, Frontline at $18 a month seems rather expensive.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Originally Posted By: roxy84it seems that complaints of frontline being completely ineffective against fleas are becoming quite common. i know my vet says she has been inundated this summer with customers whose dogs are getting no relief from frontline. she does believe fleas have become resistant to this particular topical.
My vet says the opposite. I do not use frontline(no flea problems) but she is always pushing it when I go there, I mentioned that I heard about ineffectiveness of it and she looked at me puzzled. I used Revolution last month (from my other vet-HW+parasite control) and she said that was ineffective. Though she is always pushing vaccines and I am anti the lyme vax, I get lectured about that everytime too, because she knows I don't buy frontline from her.
We haven't had ticks around this summer, so I haven't had to worry about that. I do use an essential oil home made spray, and it works fine for mosquito repellent.
My dogs are due shortly for HW med and I am not sure what to go with, Revolution is almost gone, I gave Iverhart + in early July and the Iverhart which is much less $$ had a recall: http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=13680
I may just go w/ Ivermectin from Tractor Supply.
I agree with you AgileGSD!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts