German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am on a quest for a new food to try. The dogs are doing well, good coats, good stools, but within the last two weeks each one of them has had one of those yucky bumps filled with white junk. So I am going to try a different food.

I like the looks of the:
Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Chicken a La Veg contains Fresh Chicken, Vegetables, and Fruit. In addition, this food includes a combination of Probiotics and Prebiotics to enhance the growth of beneficial bacteria, and inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella. This product does not contain Corn or Wheat. Instead, Specialty Grains like Barley, Rice, and Oats are used as the carbohydrate source. Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Chicken A La Veg provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, White Rice, Whole Dried Egg, Menhaden Fish Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Oat Hulls, Herring Meal, Cheese, Flaxseed, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera, Folic Acid, Whole Clove Garlic, Parsley, Chondroitin Sulfate, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Salivarius, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Protein Minimum 24
Fat Minimum 15
Moisture Maximum 10
Ash Maximum 6.5
Fiber Maximum 3

Plus the Price is going to be about $42.30 for a 40 lb. breeder size bag, that is $1.05 per pound, right now I am paying $1.25 per pound for Roay Canin GS-24.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It looks ok. I'd like to see one more meat ingredient in the top 5. The protein is a little lower than I like to feed and it has the evil Canola oil in it. It also has cheese and salt which I found weird. Can you get samples and see how they do? It sure does have a lot of ingredients--it would be a nightmare food for dogs with allergies!

What are you feeding right now? The little cysts could be unrelated to food. It is spring and it's not uncommon to see skin issues right now.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Fromm's 4-star Duck & Sweet Potato was the ONLY kibble that my puppy ever liked, and that is saying something. She is so painfully picky about dry foods. I didn't even have to mix it with wet to tempt her appetite.

I fed her a dry meal every couple of days, and the transition was easy. She is fed raw primarily.

However, she started developing huge eye boogers. And just before we were done with our trial 5 lbs bag (and after I bought a 15 lbs bag) she started scratching all over, and chewing her anal region.

So I suspected food allergies and halted the dry. Her boogers went away, but the scratching didn't. But that is a whole other story ...

Still, every dog reacts to the same food differently. Let the board know how the dogs take to it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I love Fromm, it finally let me rest lol

I went about a year trying to force Tash to at least eat half a cup of kibble a day. Didn't usually work. I finally gave up and asked what one officer I know feeds his dog as his dog was doing perfect. He told me what to try -the Duck and Sweet Potato-.

Tried it and it has changed Tash's life around. She too has a sensitive tummy and is picky, and the pro/prebiotics have helped her beyound believe. She's gained weight and is eatting every meal and trys to sneak extras when I'm preparing meals.

I also feed a bit extra of a different formula -I feed D&SP as the base- and add a little of the Chicken A La Veg or other 4-star kibble to add a different kind of protein as they are single source, which is nice

Good luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've looked at this product on-line and it has always interested me..but no one carries around here. I haven't even seen it in the specialty stores. I would have all ready bought some if they did!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Originally Posted By: NatashaSWSSomePup - have you checked here to see if there is one near you that you don't know of?
http://www.frommfamily.com/dealers-us.php?state=CA
Yes, I just checked again to see if anything has changed. Not one store in my county or any of the neighboring counties. I'd have to mail order it, if I wanted to try it. There are a lot of good foods being sold locally and my dog doesn't have allergies so it makes it kinda hard to justify ordering it. Even though it looks great!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Mine are eating the salmon: http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-d-d-salmon.php mixed with Orijen (I think I have given up pretty much on the whole finding a dog food thing). They even have a new Grain Free.

They are doing well on the mix. I bet they'd be fine on the Fromm alone.

Next I am going to mix (probably) the Fromm and/or Pinnacle Duck and Instinct Duck.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since Lakota's dam had Pancreatitis I watch the fat content on food for him. He has had a bout of Pancreatitis when he was younger before I knew about his dam. So Fromm's Four-Star Chicken aLa Veg is 15% and what he is eating right now is 19%, so I see that as a good thing for him. My store doesn't carry it so she will order it in for me on her next order, so it will be 2 weeks before I have it to give it a try.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've had Kasha on the Fromm 4-star Salmon-a-la-Veg for over a year now and it is the only food that stopped her paw licking.

Scout and Ruby have both been on Fromm Adult Gold with good results also for well over a year. It did a good job of clearing up Scout's dandruff issue although recently it has started to come back. Also, stool output has always been a bit soft on Adult Gold so I am in the process of switching to a slightly lower quality food and supplementing with Grizzly Salmon Oil which I think will work well for the sheps. Kasha is staying with the salmon based food.

Over-all, as far as premium kibbles go, I've had the best luck with Fromm and I've tried many over the years!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried the Adult Gold with Raya, her poo smelled so bad it would chase a Coyote off a gut pile, so I think Duck is not good for her. So I know I didn't want to try it for any of the other dogs.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got my bag of Chicken a-la veg. Just a quick taste test 4 out of 4 discriminating GSD's like the food.

Now I have to come up with a plan to change over. I think I will go with Raya first as she is my Cast Iron gut so in a few days she will be switched. Then probably DeeDee and maybe Lakota at the same time, then I will switch Chey last. I hope this work because Lakota could use less fat, because of the Pancreatits flares he gets once in a while. Cheyenne is the one that concerns me on the switch since GS-24 has been the ONLY food she couldn't get diarrhea on, but she really liked the taste.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Good luck! Let us know how everything goes

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Fromm's Four-Star food/mixed results

Not a full week on the slow mix change over.

Tonight Cheyenne had gassy water diahhrea. I have had problems with food and her in the past. So this doesn't surprise me.

Raya will not eat it, so she is eating well on the GS-24 so I am not going to mess with her.

Now DeeDee and Lakota, both like the taste are just a little more than 25% Fromms and 75% GS-24. Solid stools, so far so good. Friday they will be at a 50-50 mix.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well it was I guess a pipe dream that 4 dogs could eat the same food. GS-24 is the ONLY food Cheyenne has done well on. If a food doesn't work for her, she will get Diahhrea to explosive Diahhrea so her system told me no go.

So if I have two on one food and tow on another food I can live with that. We will see when the full switch over on DeeDee and Lakota.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts

Good luck with the switch over

1 - 18 of 18 Posts