·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick rundown.

4 y.o male GSD
currently eating fromm 4 star beef frittata grain free
price of my local fromm has gone up $8/bag in the last month
Victor is more readily available in my area/cheaper.
Dogfoodadvisor gave victor a higher rating.
Why or why not switch???
I can afford both, but I would like the best value.
My dog does okay on fromm and has done well on any other brand.

If you recommend changing to VICTOR could you tell me which formula you prefer and why?! Grain free only due to allergies

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
due to allergies
Playing the devil's advocate here.........

If your dogs allergies are stable on Fromm's......is it "worth" possibly having a reaction to a new food with different ingredients?

Many on here feed Victor and have success with it.

Just a thought to consider. ;)

Moms:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Playing the devil's advocate here.........

If your dogs allergies are stable on Fromm's......is it "worth" possibly having a reaction to a new food with different ingredients?

Many on here feed Victor and have success with it.

Just a thought to consider. ;)

Moms:)

Appreciate it, but his itchiness is becoming worse since I changed flavors on fromm but it could also be the heat being on in the house combined with the colder weather change. Essentially, I do not know what it is, but Victor seems to be a good option at this point. I have no issue with fromm but the value/quality seems better on victor from what ive read. Kinda looking for personal experiences/recommendations on the formulas!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I switched from Fromm to Sport Dog Food, which I believe is comparable to Victor, but a little cheaper. My boy began chewing on his legs and paws, and I believe it was due to the potatoes and peas Fromm uses in their grain free formula. Sport Dog Food does not have potatoes, peas, or tomatoes. It does use yams and/or sweet potatoes, but these are not a true potato. My dogs are doing very well on it and my GSD is no longer itching. The food also contains probiotics and enzymes. Also made in and ingredients sourced from the USA.

Complete Dog Food for Highly Active Dogs | SportDogFood.com

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
I've used Victor and was very happy with it. I'm not a believer in the whole grain free thing. Plant based proteins and carbs are plant based proteins and carbs no matter what the pretty packaging says.

Having said that, Victor is non-gmo, no wheat or corn.

A friend of mind is a dog food rep for numerous brands and told me that, in her opinion, Victor is one of the top foods due to their ingredients and vitamin pack they use

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I switch back and forth between Victor's Beef and Rice formula and Fromm's Chicken Adult Dog food. My dogs maintain weight better when not on grain free. Cafall does well on both formulas. Efa seems to scratch with both. She's susceptible to dry skin, living in the desert it's kind of a never ending battle.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I switched from Fromm to Sport Dog Food, which I believe is comparable to Victor, but a little cheaper. My boy began chewing on his legs and paws, and I believe it was due to the potatoes and peas Fromm uses in their grain free formula. Sport Dog Food does not have potatoes, peas, or tomatoes. It does use yams and/or sweet potatoes, but these are not a true potato. My dogs are doing very well on it and my GSD is no longer itching. The food also contains probiotics and enzymes. Also made in and ingredients sourced from the USA.

Complete Dog Food for Highly Active Dogs | SportDogFood.com
YES! I use SportDogFood for my only dog that is not completely raw fed. I've been really happy with the results. Much better than ANP, Fromm and even Earthborn so far.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I feed Fromm grainfree and had no need to switch. No issues with allergies, loose stool and maintains a healthy weight. I find hard to put weight on if needed. If my dog was itching and did not like the way he looked or gaining much weight I would switch.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Lot's of people back in 2016 were feeding Sport dog food and I was just wondering if many are still happy with that product./

·
Registered
845 Posts
Fromm and Victor are both excellent foods. I prefer Victor simply because I have fed high protein foods for years (Orijen Original/Adult Dod, Six Fish, and Regional Red) and my dogs did amazing on them. I also really like that you don't have to give them as much per day to maintain great physical shape. Fromm doesn't really have a high protein formula like that, so when I decided to switch, the obvious choice was Victor.

I have been feeding Hi-Pro Plus, which is not grain-free, but am currently working on a bag of Ultra Pro, which is grain-free. I'm actually impressed enough by how they are doing on the Ultra Pro to consider making it their primary food, but may also try the Nutra Pro formula, which is also not grain-free, but higher protein than the Hi-Pro Plus... My dogs, have no grain sensitivities and no food allergies that I have observed, so your mileage may vary.

It's hard to make a real recommendation without knowing what your dog is allergic/sensitive to. Hope this helps anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts