German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
29,487 Posts
Cannot see your picture. Wonder if the pup is as happy about losing its parts as you seem to be. Is there a reason why its "thank goodness!"?

With only one male and female, yeah probably a typical BYB.

If they had a number of females, they might be a breeder with a goal and a focus, one who keeps their older bitches rather than dumping them, one that raises up puppies from their own breedings because they are doing a good job of mating dogs and are proud of what they are producing, and possibly takes back a dog or two from people who could not keep them for whatever reason.

If you are a reputable breeder, you will have more than one female and male.

Sorry, but the changes that your male will completely complement your female are pretty slim, better to go to an outside stud and pay a stud fee. And if you have been breeding for any time, why are you not keeping back a pup or pups out of a litter to go forward with.

Good breeders are not just putting together one male and one female to produce one litter of pretty puppies. That is a BYB. Good breeders have a goal and a purpose for putting together dogs and bitches, and keeping the best of the off spring for the future.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
It is.

But because I believe that spay and neuter cause cancer, and possibly other issues. Because they will not spay women for no reason, and that women who do need full hysterectomys have a shorter life expectancy than those who have been left an ovary.

I am not a fan of fixing what isn't broken.

I do not believe that keeping animals intact means they will be bred.

But if you want to, it is up to you to do so, I just do not understand why, thank goodness-- that almost sounds like you are afraid of a dog having its pieces parts. I do not understand that thinking, but I have run into it.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
But how do we know that. They spend enough time absorbed with them. The first thing they check out on another is usually that. How do we KNOW that they would not prefer to remain intact.

But we are their owners and if we feel that is the best course of action for the dog, that is what we can do as owners. As "guardians" well, I just don't know if you should be able to alter forever something that you do not own -- just a plug on yet another reason not to buy into terms like pet parent and pet guardians. Much happier being a pet owner.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
See the picture now. Color, black -- usually working, byb, or american show -- not usual in German show. Straighter top line, suggests working or BYB. The short tail suggests byb. It looks a little tall for working lines as well though hard to tell with a picture. Nice head and ears though.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
And some of the current thought is that neutering INCREASES the chances of prostate cancer instead of the other way around.

My problem is not with spaying or neutering, as I said, that is the owner's choice GSDELsa.

GSDElsa, it is not ok for me to lecture on one of the subjects I am most concerned with, but it is ok for you to lecture me. OK. Guess I understand THAT rule now.

What my problem with is the "thank goodness!" What is expected once this awesome surgery is performed? Is superstar obedience champion dog going to suddenly turn up in the skin of your former intact dog?

If you cannot contain an intact dog, you should not own a dog. Do you really believe that sex drive is stronger than prey drive? I suppose it can be in some animals. But if there is a possibility of your dog getting loose, fix the possibility, make your dog safer, don't fix the dog. Because spayed and neutered dogs can be killed by farmers, or run over by cars as readily as their intact cousins.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
Why spay and nueter? I dont know what kind of cancer spaying causes, but Not spaying can increase the chance of breast cancer, for one. Also, accidents can happen. My female GSD is pregnant because my husband let our boy in to play with her, not realizing she was in heat till it was too late. I am Not a back yard breeder, my dogs, though purebred, are unproven, and I was not intending to breed them. Also, how many get put down at shelters? if the parents had had something removed, these dogs wouldnt be there. I work at a shelter, and there are plenty of purebred unwanted dogs there. All 3 of my GSDs are rescues.

Yes, if you subject your bitch to an increased risk of osteosarcoma, and hemangiosarcoma, and other issues, you can pretty much eliminate the possibility of breast cancer.

Mammary cancer seems to usually hit bitches at ten years old and older. I am sure there are probably cases of younger dogs getting it, but it seems like it is more of an elder dog problem. I will risk that. Bone cancer and hemangiosarcoma, both having terrible prognosis, often hit dogs at four or five years of age, maybe even younger.

Dogs seem to live longer intact.

No I will not alter the dogs that I have that I never intend to breed. No way. I care about them too. If I believe that spay/neuter has negative health consequences, why would I do it to any of my dogs.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
No, it's not a rule. But you're always ranting and raving when people try to go pro-speuter on you...so I guess I don't understand why you would turn around and do the same thing to someone else?

You can certainly do it...I just see it as a tit for tat type of thing.
So its your job to keep my ranting and raving to a minimum.

I BELIEVE that vets and HSUS are giving only half of the story when it comes to spay/neuter. They do not bother to tell of the risks, they blow them off. They even LIE and tell you the opposite. People believe them.

I believe this is a terrible injustice. People should be aware that there are other studies that tell a different story. When people say something like it decreases the risk of prostate cancer, or the dog will suffer if it is not neutered, I don't like to let that stuff go by.

Too many pups are neutered in the teenager stage. If people just wait a bit, those dogs will come back to their senses with or without their reproductive organs. But if people DO neuter them, then when the behavior improves they blame the neuter.

Why "thank-goodness!"? What will it DO for the dog, really?

· Registered
29,487 Posts
No, it's not a rule. But you're always ranting and raving when people try to go pro-speuter on you...so I guess I don't understand why you would turn around and do the same thing to someone else?

You can certainly do it...I just see it as a tit for tat type of thing.
Could you please explain this a little better.

When people ask about spay-neuter, I usually do say I am against it and give reasons.

When people down in the breeding section are being battered about thinking about breeding and everyone says spay spay spay. I might say that spaying isn't the answer, becoming educated is.

I do not understand what you mean about "so I guess I don't understand why you would turn around and do the same thing to someone else"

Could you say that a different way so I can figure out what your are trying to say?

· Registered
29,487 Posts
Haha sorry I almost forgot about the OP's question. Sorry when I get side tracked it takes over. I would also have to agree with the working bloodlines, and mix. Czech is a good guess, but it seems as if the lines are too straight. It's as if the dog was bred in a rectangular box. :p Given the angles of the back and head shape the pup would seem to be a mix. Without anymore information it would be hard to speculate, but I must admit I like his appearance. He won't show, but that's fine because show GSDs are bastards of their breed.
I agree with most of your two posts. And welcome to the board.

Not sure what you mean about show GSDs being bastards of their breed. I mean, they can trace their ancestry. Are you opposed to German showline dogs, American showlines, British or Austrailian or Canadian Showlines, American Specialty showlines, or just all showlines in general.

Just a word to the wise though, we have members with showline dogs, and they feel their dogs are the best dogs just like working line people feel their dogs are the best dogs. You do not have to agree with them.

Just trying to coexist with the owners of the various types of dogs, because many of the issues that we discuss are the same regardless to what lines the dogs are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.