German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my dog Fromm's Gold for about a year and a half now. We had switched from Kirkland's Natures Domain which she barely ate and as a result was quite thin. We tried a few other foods that had decent ratings but we found out later were mostly Diamond products and she didn't like them either. Our local pet store recommended Fromm's as a quality company without recalls that made good food. My dog has done well on the Fromm's gold, she has finally filled out but remains healthy and lean. The problem is that when I started buying it at my local store it was $48 a bag and now its $57. Where the classic is more than $20 cheaper for the same size bag. Looking at the ingredients they seem the same to me except the gold has duck lamb and chicken where the classic only has chicken. Are there any other differences? Or are the differences worth the extra $20+ a bag?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
How old is your dog? My girl stayed lean until her second birthday. I also lowered the protein content I had her on EVO which did not help being "rocket fuel" 44% protein....a young dog with a metabolism of a teenage girl on redbull.

Try the Dogfood advisor website. I wouldn't feed Costco dogfood just based on it's policies of 'whatever' is cheapest and inconsistent quality and the fact they don't really care if anything is processed in China.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My girl just turned 3. The costco/kirkland's dog food is a grain free made by Diamond. It has 4 stars on dog food advisor. My dog just wouldn't eat it. She wasn't just too lean, she was skinny/ribby. Both the Fromms are rated pretty decently on Dog food adviser. I am just trying to see if the difference between the gold and classic is worth it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The classics line is lower in protein and fat - 23% protein, 15% fat, so less meat used. I just looked on Chewy.com, and they have Fromm Gold for $49 with free shipping, so that is something to consider.
I think that the 23% protein is a bit low but I understand the price issue. If you decide to get it, you might want to consider adding protein. For my crew: once a week I add an egg for each dog, sometimes they get some chicken or ground beef, and twice a week they get sardines. Costco also has a canned dog food - Kirkland cuts in gravy - and mine get some every night.
You might also want to consider another food. I feed Dr Tim's for one of my dogs and that is a pretty good price - $41.99/30 lbs at Chewy.
I'm also looking at Victor hi pro for my younger and more active girl as it's $38 for 40 lbs locally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts