German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky has lived his entire life in a 68 degree apartment. My mother bought a new house that has a fence and is insisting that I visit with Rocky and just leave him in the backyard for four days.

Don't worry---I am not even considering it.

What I am wondering is: Can a dog that has lived in the AC really adjust to 100 degree weather "just because it is a dog"?

My mother insists that our neighbors dogs have no problems living outside---but they have done so since the day they were brought home. I told her he is used to AC and she replied "He is a dog. Don't act like he is a human. Dogs live outside."

Any opinions or facts?

·
Registered
431 Posts
My puppy had to go a few days without air while ours was being fixed, and he seemed pretty miserable. He is also used to central air. I don't think my puppy really likes the heat anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
He would need time to acclimate-We stay at 68* indoors and currently our outdoor temps are running 100*+ with high humidity-it does not take long for my two coated females and my stock coat male to be back at the door panting hard. Dogs can and do live outdoors-those outdoors all the time can usualy handle anything-but going from one temp extreme to another rapidly is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It depends on what you ask from your dog. If you have a dog that spends the majority of their time in the house in cool (or warm) conditions and then send them out to 'work' in the heat (or cold) your dog is going to have adverse reactions to the weather and not be able to 'work' and may risk it's health.

For example, if you have a dog you are using for tracking, you will have to consider the terrain and weather the dog is going to be working in. If you want your dog to succeed as well as be able to handle the weather conditions, you'll want to make sure your dog can handle all sorts of weather.

You can't take your dog from your A/C controlled home, train for a couple of hours on the weekend and expect your dog to be able to do the job you're asking of him/her.

If you have a dog that is your companion and it spends most of it's time with you in a climate controlled enviroment, then leaving it in the back yard in 100% weather for a couple of days, may take it's toll on your dog.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Sure he's a dog and they are much tougher than we give them credit for sometimes, but going from 68 to 100 is a big difference. I know I would hate it and so would my dogs. I would never put my girls in a situation that would make them miserable. Lucky for us the worst summer heat only lasts for about 2 months.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy is an inside dog but we spend alot of time outdoors all year long. My husband and I like to hike all year and we have the traditional season changes (hot summers & snowy cold winters) it was important that our dog come with us so he has gotten use to the weather. There are some days where we call it due to extreme heat or cold...he's not a working dog with a job requirement so it's fine.

I agree with Lilie's post.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
That would be tough to quickly acclimate to. Sure if he was raised outside but even my working dog I get a little antsy when it gets above 100F.

68. For real? I keep my AC around 75-78. Makes going outside less of a jolt to ME and I can't even imagine the electric bill if I kept mine that cold (In the winter sure)

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. My electric bill is 100$ a month. The sun shines on my window from 9am until 6pm at night and my window takes up nearly an entire wall of my room. I have two wooden boards and three blackout curtains and the room still heats up during the day (poorly built, I'm assuming)

I am very active and when I'm working out for a competition I take fat burners in the morning, so even when it is set on 68 degrees I am sweating, probably because my room never cools down. I would say my bedroom is about 75 degrees when I set the AC on 68, and the rest of the apartment is very cold since the sun does not shine on any other windows.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
We keep ours around 74 at home. At work it's SO cold in the office area...I get headaches when I leave to go home because of the extreme temp difference. My skin gets itchy and I have to apply extra moisturizer.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol I used to complain when my boyfriend's old roommate put the AC below 74, but now that I have been eating healthier and doing a lot of cardio and weights, I find that I am never cold, unless I have a sweaty shirt on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts