German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately its Gunners time. This past weekend we had a party at the house for him. Friends and family that know him. Beer, music, belly rubs, burgers, dogs, chicken. etc. It was a great time. Yesterday he and I spent most of the day in the garage. I was smoking some shoulders, he was enjoying the cool concrete floor. I'm working 4/10's this week in order to take Friday off. I was given 2 options for timing at the Vet 11:00 or 3:30. I took the 3:30. Wondering if I should've just gotten this done early in the day. But I know my plan on how to deal with it immediately afterwards. Grab a case of cold Bud Light cans and head to a local club I belong to. The Fairfield Optimist. Told the wife I would like to do this whole thing alone, I don't like being vulnerable in front of her. But told her she could go, drive separate, I want to be left alone afterwards. I have begrudgingly agreed to take him to my mothers house on Wednesday so she can say goodbye. Long dramatic story, but she kept me from seeing my dad before he passed away in Jan 2020, so when I heard she wanted to see him, I originally lost my sh!t. But decided to be the bigger person and had my sister set it up.

I've had Gunner since he was 11 weeks old, or so I was told. I was looking for a GSD at the time but wasn't in a position to afford one, so I was heading to get a chocolate lab. A friend called, knowing I was looking for a GSD and said she knew someone that had 1. Male, 11 weeks old. Didn't have a yards, couldn't keep him. $100. HEII YES. So off I go. I pull into this trailer park and there's a white ball of fur sitting on the porch. WTF is that? That's not a GSD. LOL My first time seeing a white one. 12 years later and I wouldn't trade him for the world. To try and explain what he means to me, and the fact that he has saved my life a few times, I suffer from severe PTSD from my time in Iraq, would be difficult to put into words.

I am having him cremated and will place his remains next to a my favorite picture of him. Told the wife when I die, he goes with me.

I know what to expect Friday, but I don't know how Ill be able to keep my emotions in check. There just may not be enough bud light in the world to get that lump down my throat.

Wont have my buddy to drink coffee with on the back deck on the weekend mornings anymore. Wont have my beer buddy next to the firepit anymore.

Anytime I would crack that first beer, his head would snap and look at me wondering where his was. "You want a beer? You gotta tell me" One loud bark was all it would take.

Never had any problems out of Gunner. He is a great dog, and to watch him struggle just plain sucks.

Dog Carnivore Black-and-white Style Dog breed

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Do yourself a favor and pay the bill now, because standing there trying to see through tears and keep your **** together just sucks.
My heart just aches for you, I know what that last week feels like. I did the same thing for Sabs, had a big party for her so everyone could spoil her and love on her. It's a beautiful thing.
Gunner will always be with you. You have to know that the awesome bond you shared does not just break apart. He sounds like a great friend who loved you as you loved him.
Don't fall into that beer can ok? I'm sending all kinds of hugs for you both.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm so sorry. Gunner will always be with you. Jake is in our living room and when I'm in there I talk to him, it's surprising how comforting it is just to know he's there.
Take care of yourself and know we're thinking of you both

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Been there done that, Hard as it is to believe, I know how you feel.
First of all, thank you for your service and thank you for doing right by Gunner before it's too late.
Nothing wrong with a man crying over losing his buddy, the last two times I cried in the last 20 years were I put my dog's mercifully down. I needed to be on my own too after letting my kids say goodbye. My last GSD girl is buried in the woods out back, her favorite spot to be and nice and shady in the Summer heat. I can still talk to her whenever I want and she's helped teach the new boys in spirit.

As hard as it is to fathom, the only thing that helps patch over the hole that they leave is to suck it up and find the courage to love another one; as soon as possible in my case. I honestly feel that's what they'd want too.

Run free healthy and perfect Gunner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm so sorry. I have been there before. It was the saddest the night before and I literally cried for weeks afterward. I wish I could say something that would help but there isn't. My boy is on my mantle now. I look at him often and still speak to him and it has been years since he passed. Prayers to you and your boy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been there done that, Hard as it is to believe, I know how you feel.
First of all, thank you for your service and thank you for doing right by Gunner before it's too late.
Nothing wrong with a man crying over losing his buddy, the last two times I cried in the last 20 years were I put my dog's mercifully down. I needed to be on my own too after letting my kids say goodbye. My last GSD girl is buried in the woods out back, her favorite spot to be and nice and shady in the Summer heat. I can still talk to her whenever I want and she's helped teach the new boys in spirit.

As hard as it is to fathom, the only thing that helps patch over the hole that they leave is to suck it up and find the courage to love another one; as soon as possible in my case. I honestly feel that's what they'd want too.

Run free healthy and perfect Gunner.
I feel a little guilty about it, but I also thinks it's helped keep my mind in a good place. I have a new pup lined up with a current member. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Saying goodbye is the price of all the joy and friendship, and it's a heavy one.

I agree about paying that bill ahead of time -- and pick your box and paw print, or whatever else they have as options, a few days before. You won't know what you're signing, picking, or paying afterward--emotional blur. They might even let you leave through a side door after.

My heart-dog has cancer right now. This weekend, we're doing a little at-home photoshoot together with a friend who's a pet photographer. I did that in 2013 with my last one, a week or two before he passed, and those pictures are my favorite set of pictures we ever took. There's just an energy in the way we looked at each other, knowing we'd made it to the end of the journey, and were so grateful for each other. I don't take many pictures of myself, but those pictures with my dog right before he passed really mean a lot to me. 😭

·
Registered
569 Posts
Your post reduced me to tears. Mostly I love the relationship you have with Gunner. Thinking of you on Friday. Enjoy your last few days as hard as it seems.

The new pup will be a healthy distraction. Some people just need a dog by their side.

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
I don't have much to add except it is totally fine and normal to be a complete wreck for awhile before and after we say good bye. It takes weeks and sometimes months until we can remember the good times without a tear.
But each tear is because we were blessed to be companions with a great dog.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts