German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 month old GSD just went in for surgery on Monday to get neutured. Surgery went well and seems to be making a successful recovery. We also have an 6 month old English Bull Dog who is currently still intact (for another 2 weeks). Kreider (GSD) got along well with Nash (EBD) they are pack mates, but after the surgery Kreider is showing aggression towards Nash and attacked him 2x last night for no reason, Nash was just walking by. Do you think it is bc Kreider is in pain and is just telling Nash to stay away from him or would it be bc Nash is still intact and Kreider senses that? Please help!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It's just a wild guess, but sounds like he is giving out a warning that he is too hurt to play?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I figured. I mean I cant imagine them being pack mates and then all of a sudden hating one another. How long is the recovery time for Kreider?

·
5,627 Posts
Could be either, as well several other reasons. Best to monitor their interactions to keep them from escalating until things are back to normal.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think keeping them seperated for at least a week and then close supervision for another week until he's fully healed would be beneficial. He was probably still out of sorts from the ordeal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10 Month old GSD attacking pack mate

My 10 month old GSD just got neutured on Monday. Ever since his surgery he has been attacking his 6 month old english bull dog house/pack mate who is still intact. I kept them seperated until today. The 2 were completely fine all day playing with eachother..all day they have been side by side no problems. As soon as the owner of the EBD came home my GSD attacked her dog. She went to pick him up (EBD) and my GSD went to attack again. Could this be because the owner of the EBD is nervous and my GSD senses that? Or could it be bc the EBD is still intact? Like I said they were fine all day until she came home. I think he senses her nervousness and believes its bc of the EBD so he takes it out of him. IDK what to do about this please help. He has never been agressive before this surgery took place.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I could be the hormones still in his system - it does take a few weeks - maybe a month, I'm not sure for the hormones to leave after the neutering. He also could be sore after the surgery and out of sorts. Also, it could just be his age 10 months and this may have happened anyway. I agree with you that your gsd could be reacting to the lady's nerves and redirecting on her dog. I would make sure they are separated before she comes home. It may help if you could be gone with your dog and take him for a walk during that time, then see how your dog reacts when you are return .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.