German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here use Fresh Pet Select?

I am using it for my non-GSD. He seems to prefer it over Honest Kitchen. The one I am trying is in the refrigerator section, and looks like kibble (but it's softer). It is the beef and sweet potato. It is pretty expensive, even for a tiny pet.

I had him on Honest Kitchen, and he seemed like he was always so hungry. He is on a weight loss diet, but I don't want him to be miserable.

He also eats some Fromm reduced calorie kibble.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
It's relatively expensive for a product in the commercial raw space, but my guess is that is because they have to pay a lot for shelf space in lots of big box stores (they pay stores "rent" for all those coolers). The beef one has a lot of chicken in it, too, so it's not appropriate for food allergy dogs -- you're paying for beef but getting a lot of (cheaper) chicken inside that chub.

If you want to feed commercial raw, you can do it for significantly less per pound with frozen 5# chubs from Vital Essentials and some other brands. Their beef is just beef and veg for around $4/lb.

Another option if you like THK but he seems hungry is to just add some extra meat to it (some of the Fresh Pet you have, for example), to increase the protein. Also, watch the feeding ration on THK -- some dogs simply need more than the box says (mine eats significantly more than their feeding guidelines, and he's lean).

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Vital is raw. SELECT is not. I use it for training because it's sooooo convenient.

As a main food, it's expensive. You can a better one for less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts