German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I came up with the great idea of buying fresh green tripe from a local butcher. I am not sure what I thought it would look or smell like but OMG!!!

I took my pup with me for the drive...big mistake. I couldn't put this 24 lb bag in the back with him as he was going crazy. I had to put in on the floor of front seat OMGGGGGGG it stinks soooo bad.

Now I have to cut this stuff up into portions and freeze it???? Not sure this will be a regular treat for him.

·
Registered
996 Posts
oh man you got it the hard way! If you are going to do it that way get a meat grinder.

I purchase green trip in bulk from a company that takes care of the grinding for me. Its in chunks of about the size of a quarter sometimes a little bigger. Wayyy less of a hassle for myself. The benefits are wonderful though!

that however... looks like an absolute mess. Good luck LOL

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
You drove with a 24lb bag of green tripe in the front of your car? :eek:
How will you ever get the smell out?

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
It looks well rinsed. If it is, next time don't rinse it as you will remove many of the good and even more stinky nutrients.
I love to see them work on a large two pound sized chunk. It makes them look so wild. Even more so with puppies.
I don't mind the smell anymore, maybe because I am slowly turning into a dog.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You're so lucky! Green tripe is our dogs' favorite and it's so hard to come by.

Everyone warned me about the smell ahead of time so I was prepared - had a kerchief over my face and everything - but to be honest, I don't mind the smell. It reminds me of my youth in the rural Midwest. Mine also came pre-ground - so that might have made it more tolerable.

Some recommend cutting it outside if you can. That might make it a little easier on you.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
:sick:I just realized what it smells like. That is the way it smelled at the circus when I used to go as a kid.

·
Registered
996 Posts
to me it kind of smells vaguely like an abandoned building with mold with a meaty tinge to it

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
oh!! You poor thing! I don't know How you survived that trip.

LOL...just realizing that if I had done that with my dogs there's no way they would have stayed in the back, away from that irresistible smell. We would have had a wreck on the way home, for sure. Or actually, I'm lucky I drive a truck so I could have thrown it in the bed.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Lucky dog, poor you! I have gotten used to the smell. My dogs get some most meals.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks well rinsed. If it is, next time don't rinse it as you will remove many of the good and even more stinky nutrients.

Definitely not rinsed. In fact the woman who brought it out to me was specific about how it was just removed and not rinsed. She was looking at me with a very strange look. I didn't really know what I was picking up and I am guessing she knew I didn't know! LOL

This is now all cut up and ready to go into freezer bags.

I pulled up in my little Mazda3 with my puppy in the back. She told me to go around to the back door. She came out with that bag and I knew it couldn't go in the back with Gus so I opened my passenger door and pointed to the floor. She hesitated but did what I asked. She knew what I had no clue about...............I was crazy!!

I wasn't out of the parking lot when I called Carmen to tell her I must be crazy! The smell was so overpowering, I couldn't stop laughing while talking to her. I kept looking down at this bag and thinking "what am I going to do with that".

In the end I guess its a good deal. 24 lbs of green tripe for $10.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Bowoh!

Just looking at that makes me nauseous.
The things we do for our GSDs...
Question is, what are you going to go with all that foul-smelling stuff?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gus had his first meal of tripe today. He loved it......but he stinks now too!!!

I am thinking I will freeze it all in portions and feed it twice a week.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Gus had his first meal of tripe today. He loved it......but he stinks now too!!!

I am thinking I will freeze it all in portions and feed it twice a week.
Glad he liked it!:wild:

Make sure you wear gloves when you portion it. The smell will linger for quite a while if you don't.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wore gloves and rubber boots. Forgot to pick up freezer bags so I went out shopping......people moved away from me so I am guessing my nose is forever ruined but the people around me had no problems with theirs.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
oh it definitely was not rinsed .

I was very very lucky to receive a few baggies of this wonderful tripe .

Como , young Gus's uncle dog , was airborne most of the time jumping beside me once he smelled the evidence on my hands . By the time I got him his share he was so excited he was foaming and throwing flecks of drool and foam from his mouth. He looked like he had shaving foam going on.

Dogs loved it -- and these dogs are used to getting tripe in cubes --- this was extra special.

Thanks Sapphire !!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'd give just about anything to get whole fresh tripe like that! Avery goes gah gah over tripe and it is what I use to con him into eating rabbit; his least favorite meat besides anything with a bone that is not ground. I can no longer smell tripe when I am preparing a meal that involved it. My husband however dry heaves the entire time he preps the meal and he usually have a stronger stomach than I.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok everyone...

Pray for me as I once again pick up some fresh green tripe!!

I at least know not to bring Gus with me this time to pick it up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts