German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd question....
I have a 3 yr old GSD x and i was wondering how much is normal for him to poop each day?
I feed him 3.5 cups of food a day, which is what it says to feed him but he seems to poop enough for 2!
He's doing 5-6 quite large poops a day....is this normal?
I've only ever owned collies before and they never pooped as much so i'm not sure if this is normal or not....

Any ideas?

·
Registered
224 Posts
What kind of food are you feeding?

If the food is top quality, the amount of waste should be small as well as the frequency be wider apart. The theory is that most cheaper foods are nothing but filler and very few nutrients resulting in more coming out the exhaust.. ;-)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What are you feeding? That does seem like an awful lot of poop for only 3.5 cups of whatever you feed per day. Are they solid or more of a pudding type consistency?

I feed about 3 cups of Orijen per day and Lucy only goes twice. Once in the AM and once in the PM. Sometimes it will only be once in the AM and that's it for the day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
thanks all for your replys...
I feed him a dry food called Wagg. His poop's look normal, not runny or anything

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It looks as though the first ingredient is grain- in fact most of the food is grain, not much meat. That's why there's so much poop, there's not enough for his body to utilize. Can you buy a better quality, like Orijen? That's what I feed Stosh and like Lucy, he eats about 4 cups a day, goes twice and sometimes once, very small amounts. The better the food, the less waste, so it's actually cheaper- not to mention better- to feed a higher quality

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Siren goes twice or 3 times a day. (Not much each time though.)

Once in the AM about 8 or whenever I take her out, and once at 11 or noonish. Then occasionally again at 10pm. (Only maybe once a week or less.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
We were feeding Now! but our 6.5 month old was also going very frequently, we have now switched to Acana and he seems to be going less frequently. Like someone mentioned above both the Orijen and Acana are both fantastic, I believe the Acana is slightly less expensive if that's a concern.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Temmerissa be sure you do a gradual transition, tranisitoning too fast will result in diarrhea. Cheap food = allot of crap. Pun intended. ;)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Mine goes 2-3 times per day on 3 cups of Orijen. But the quantity is 'tolerable'.
Sadly, I was ignorant for my last dog (a mutt) who lived 13 years on Iams. However, her poops were also very 'tolerable'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Temmerissa be sure you do a gradual transition, tranisitoning too fast will result in diarrhea. Cheap food = allot of crap. Pun intended. ;)
yeah...i have still got a heap load of the wagg left anyhow, only just bought a new bag lol, typical hehe

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Glad you're asking about food, since sadly that's where many, MANY owners are oblivious! :) Now I did read Orijen recommendations which is most definitely an awesome kibble, but I would like to point out that there are many other kibble options that are good as well and may fit closer to a limited budget (unless cost is not an issue).

EXAMPLES:
Acana (from the same company who makes Orijen)
Wellness (regular and CORE lines)
GO!
Instinct
Natural Balance
Kirkland brand (you can find this at Costco, best bang for the buck!)
TOTW (Taste of the Wild)
Canidae...

and a LOT more. Just because you consider something to be awesome does not mean it will agree with your dog's stomach so keep trying until you find what work's for you. :) When I fed kibble I did a rotation of CORE, Orijen, and EVO (BEFORE the P&G buyout) so you don't have to stick to just one. Just make sure you learn what ingredients to look for in dog food - you'll be surprised just how much junk can be in there!

·
Registered
936 Posts
2-3 x a day on california natural lamb and rice (dso far P&G has not hosed it).

Lots of grain? Lots of poo....they dont process that well. Get meat (not meat by product) in the front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts