German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning towards converting all my animals to raw (2GSD 2cats) in the next month and just trying to add up all the initial costs etc. one of the costs being the purchase of a freezer. ideally i'd like to get a small freezer to go in the garage (the one in my house is pretty small (aka, usually full) but i'm unsure of what size to get. i definitely dont have room for the huge top open type...

what do you all use?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
More to the point would be how much food are you thinking of buying a time. Will you stock up on food when you see a deal on something or just keep what you need on hand?? Ask yourself all these questions, figure out how much room you will need. Then go find youself a nice upright freezer and your all set.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I just use the freezer compartment of our fridge. I use the ice box and the shelves to hold the human meats & veggies, and the rest of the storage space for my pup.

When packed correctly, I can fit in ~ 60 lbs of meat just for her.

But I am looking into a freezer chest when we move into a bigger place. I found some nice used ones for sale on Craigslist at really reasonable prices. So you can go by that route, and maybe luck out.

:eek:)

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I bought a 5.0 cubic foot chest freezer for Risa about a year ago. I think it was about $160 at Lowe's but delivery put it over $200. I live in an apartment where space is at a premium and only have the one dog at the moment. So it works great. I'll probably get a larger one when I move.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I am really bad at measurements and such. How much meat could you fit into your freezer, Jamie? I would appreciate that 'visual' ...

Yeah, I am the kinda person who can't give directions. I KNOW how to get there, even only after getting there once before. But lord knows what streets and hwys I need to take.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Personally, with more than one dog...I would go larger than 5 cu ft. I think this is what we have, I we really need a larger one. Buying in bulk saves a lot of money and I wish we had more space (especially for those times when you already have a bit of food but find a deal you just can NOT pass up and want to stock up).

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I have a freezer that is as tall as my hip is high, and as wide as my arm, and as deep as my arm... how's THAT for bad measurements?
It is upright, and looks alot like a college fridge.. know? It has drawers. When we can raw feed Grimm, we will devote half the drawers to raw food.

The only weird thing about it, is that it somehow is colder than freezing. Not sure how that is possible, or if it helps raw feeding in any way.. maybe stuff like salmon? I dunno? Thawing takes an eternity.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
We have a 15 cubic feet deep freeze and fit 1/4 cow in it easily.
That is the most meat we have had in it at one time. We have 2 dogs, way more than enough space in my opinion if you feed raw, but i guess it just depends on how much of a bulk buyer you are.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Would a photograph help?

It's not quite so organized nowadays.
As for poundage, I've never really calculated it. I know I can fit 20 lbs of chicken quarters in the front right corner without it even filling 1/2 the freezer (height wise). I fit a 13 lb turkey in there (hacked up) and have had easily 20 lbs of muscle meat in there at one time. It has never been full. I bet it would be if I knew a hunter. . . But since all my meat comes from grocery stores it doesn't tend to get really full too often. Unless I find some awesome deals.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
LOL @ Jamie! Thanks for the photo and description. Looks pretty well organized to me!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luca_stl(it's not even frost-free).
Ok, a friend of mine feeds her GSD raw. And she was told by an engineering friend of hers (how's that for indirect information?) that manual defrost freezers are the best. Apparently, frost-free freezers work by turning off intermittantly so that the ice melts and drains into the drip pan. They aren't off very long, so you wouldn't notice it. But for meat products especially, it's a great way to get freezer burn.

Just figured I'd pass that info along. I have no idea if it's accurate. But I thought it was interesting. And since I have a no-frills freezer, it made me feel good!

I have a 7.2 cu ft freezer. Whirlpool says it will hold 250 lbs of food. Ok, I don't know how they measure that unless they just pour liquified meat into it, because I can't get nearly that much food in there, even with unpacking the whole thing and repacking everything meticulously. It holds all the dogs' food, and about 2 frozen pizzas. We also have a side by side refridge/freezer, and that freezer (actually the refridge too) is full of meat as well.

Basically, if there's a chilled spot, the dogs' food takes it. The two humans that pay the bills get a shelf in the refridgerator for milk and the veggie and cheese bins. Everything else belongs to the dogs. (Spoiled puppers!
) I tend to stock up on sales. And I make their veggie stew in large batches. Last month, we worked our way to the bottom of both freezers, so when full, I have about 30-35 days worth of meat on hand at most times -- 110 -140 lbs or so?

If there's another long-term power outage in WA, everyone is welcome to our house for a HUGE bar-b-que!

This is nearly identical to our freezer. Whirlpool makes Kenmores. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04616702000P?vName=Appliances&keyword=chest+freezer+7.2 We bought ours at Costco for about $40 less.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I'm taking you up that offer, 3K9Mom. Not that I am keeping my fingers crossed, or anything.

May I bring Janka too?

250 lbs of food. I wonder too how exactly they get that measurement.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: The StigI'm taking you up that offer, 3K9Mom. Not that I am keeping my fingers crossed, or anything.

May I bring Janka too?
We'll be carpooling.

(Rei - we may need to look into the price of an RV, just in case...I don't think our Tahoe will fit 4 humans, 3 GSD's and all their stuff!)

Lori - shall we bring the drinks? And maybe dessert too?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Do not buy a frost free freezer. They are much harder on the food.

I have a 21 cuft up right and a 26 cuft chest freezer. I can fit around 1000# of meat between the two.

Uprights are nice because it is to get at the meat. Chest freezers are more efficient.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Sure, Rei and Melissa, bring the furry kids. And an RV. If there's a power outage (our last one lasted over a week), you'll want the refridge and freezer to take all that meat home with you!

Melissa, nut free cookies and brownies please!

We'll cover the drinks. I don't want you spilling as you drive!

Wow, Lisa can store 1000 lbs of food??? I have freezer envy!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomMelissa, nut free cookies and brownies please!
Already got that covered (will take extra special notes on ingredient list)!

We don't want you to have to leave in the middle of the party! That would not be good.

Originally Posted By: 3K9MomI have freezer envy!
Me too!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Originally Posted By: mspiker03 And maybe dessert too?
Oh OH! I got dessert covered! My husband makes TERRIFIC homemade truffles. He also creates coma-induced flourless chocolate cake, and makes pretty darn good fruit pies.

So take your pick!!!

[edit: Melissa, that sounds like a great idea! Or maybe even just rent one. Can't be too eye-popping if we split it. Gas, on the other hand ...
We should teach our GSDs some tricks to earn their share for gas money ...
]

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
You laugh about the power outage...but last summer we had one! And me with two freezers full of meat in the basement. I was frantic.

I ran extension cords down the street to a neighbor's house 3 doors away whose power stayed on just to keep the meat at our house frozen. We had no other power for a week...but the dogs meals were fine!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlYou laugh about the power outage...but last summer we had one! And me with two freezers full of meat in the basement. I was frantic.

I ran extension cords down the street to a neighbor's house 3 doors away whose power stayed on just to keep the meat at our house frozen. We had no other power for a week...but the dogs meals were fine!
That is dedication right there! I'd be doing the same!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts