German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kane is now 18 months old and FINALLY growing out of his 'puppy brain.' I'm so happy to see all the things he actually learned but spent many months selectively ignoring; he knows more than I thought he did, actually. In hindsight, I can clearly see that he really just enjoyed outsmarting me and knew every button to push and where my limits were before he had to obey....typical teenager.

It was just a few months ago that I was pulling my hair out, wondering if I could do this for the next 15 years or so, blasting myself for all the things I did wrong & worrying that I'd ruined him in some way.

Out of curiosity, I went on Kijiji too see if there were any GSDs listed. I laughed hysterically when there were 12 ads in my area listing 1-year old males 'Free to Good Home.' Apparently, I was not alone in my struggles.

For anyone going through this, hang in there; keep teaching, keep your expectations high and know that he's watching, listening and learning from everything you do...and don't do.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Yep! glad you've gotten through this stage.. it's well worth it.

Congrats!

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Kane is now 18 months old and FINALLY growing out of his 'puppy brain.' I'm so happy to see all the things he actually learned but spent many months selectively ignoring; he knows more than I thought he did, actually. In hindsight, I can clearly see that he really just enjoyed outsmarting me and knew every button to push and where my limits were before he had to obey....typical teenager.

It was just a few months ago that I was pulling my hair out, wondering if I could do this for the next 15 years or so, blasting myself for all the things I did wrong & worrying that I'd ruined him in some way.

Out of curiosity, I went on Kijiji too see if there were any GSDs listed. I laughed hysterically when there were 12 ads in my area listing 1-year old males 'Free to Good Home.' Apparently, I was not alone in my struggles.

For anyone going through this, hang in there; keep teaching, keep your expectations high and know that he's watching, listening and learning from everything you do...and don't do.
There are several breeds that suffer from the "Free to Good Home" syndrome. It hits between 6 and 18 months, when they aren't cute anymore and haven't yet grabbed a brain.

I wish more people would understand that it takes time and work. Glad you made it through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts